• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Gun Truck

Looking very nice~! Maybe you should take the remnants of the 'other' one and make a Somali Technical out of it?

Looking very nice~! Maybe you should take the remnants of the 'other' one and make a Somali Technical out of it?

You talking about the hard top one? Na that one has to stay in a state of disassembly otherwise no one would think it's the one that's been kicked around two countries. :rotf

Looking good Bob . What did you use for the primmer?

It looks more like a primer gray than Nato black to my eyes :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

It's looking good so far. It's refreshing to see a model of one of these with the quad .50 on the trailer instead of the tub just placed in the bed. We have one of these at the Air Defense Artillery museum complete with the crew. We also build a display of just the truck bed with the quad .50 (mounted on the trailer) in Snow Hall. That was the first life size exhibit I ever worked on during my internship there.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James, what has me scratching my head is in the reference shots I see no clues how the trailer was mounted in the bed. I would imagine they have something bolting the trailer to the bed but I don't see it, in fact some shots looks like they are just sitting in the bed.

What do you recall on this?

Thanks James, what has me scratching my head is in the reference shots I see no clues how the trailer was mounted in the bed. I would imagine they have something bolting the trailer to the bed but I don't see it, in fact some shots looks like they are just sitting in the bed.

What do you recall on this?

They were rolled up on ramps into the bed of the truck, then the wheels were stowed. Sandbags usually covered parts of the trailer and ammo cans filled the floors of the truck beds. Let me look through my pictures and I will see if I have any shots of how it is placed in there.

When I first started my internship, the museum was temporarily housed in a hangar while the climate control system was placed into its current location. When the truck was loaded up for the move, the trailer fell out of the back of the truck. Not good. It was fixable, though.

When I find the pictures, I will post them in your guntruck thread.

Cheers,
James

Here are some pictures I had taken after we had completed this exhibit at Snow Hall at Fort Sill, OK. Since we could not get the whole truck into the room, we made the truck bed out of plywood and 2X4s. It turned out pretty good. Hopefully you can see the way the trailer is mounted in the truck bed well enough for you to use for your model.

100_7559~0.JPG

100_7560~0.JPG

100_7561~0.JPG

100_7562~0.JPG

100_7563~0.JPG

100_7564~0.JPG

100_7565~0.JPG

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
James

Thanks again James, I could have sworn I posted this just before leaving work today but...
:facepalm (Edit to add: I did post it, on the wrong thread)

got it, camo it with sandbags. :good: :soldier

looking good Bob.
Now I am going to have to finish gun-truck I started.
The machine guns look great.
Frank :popcorn :popcorn

Gotta get some stuff to make some sand bags. Might be able to make it to Hobby Lobby to get some fun stuff.

hceeffb1.jpg

Trailer in place. Eyeballed position, I suspect the guys back then did the same.

h9fa3f22.jpg

got some good filler to play with, bunch of .50 ammo cans, even have some .30, not sure they would be totin' .30 ammo, what y'all think?

hf7b11a3.jpg

h2baf3b1.jpg

Found the resin wheels in stock again and I grabbed some. Wanted to see what she looks like standing up. Still gotta clean up some on them.

I think major construction is done, just pull it all together now.

:soldier

Gotta get some stuff to make some sand bags. Might be able to make it to Hobby Lobby to get some fun stuff.

hceeffb1.jpg

Trailer in place. Eyeballed position, I suspect the guys back then did the same.

h9fa3f22.jpg

got some good filler to play with, bunch of .50 ammo cans, even have some .30, not sure they would be totin' .30 ammo, what y'all think?

hf7b11a3.jpg

h2baf3b1.jpg

Found the resin wheels in stock again and I grabbed some. Wanted to see what she looks like standing up. Still gotta clean up some on them.

I think major construction is done, just pull it all together now.

:soldier
i
Looking good. Yeah, they eyeballed most of the trailers into place. The Anti Aircraft Artillery (now Air Defense Artillery) units also sometimes had to dismount their quad .50s for base defense.

The .30 / 7.62 ammo cans could be carried on one of these trucks as many of them had an M60 machine gun mounted for close in defense.

Cheers,
James

Don't know why I haven't dug too deep into which Gun Truck I'm doing. Clearly it's Nancy but I see one named Bounty Hunter with the same armor configuration.
I find photos of both having an M60 on a mount in the cab so...I guess I got a bit more work to do. Also I can load up some more ammo in there.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Back