• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Gun Truck

Absolutely beautiful Bob. :dude

It's funny to read about the 'silvering'. Those were the first pics I saw and I loved the finish but didn't think that would have escaped your eye in the process.

Great work Bob! Yeah the lack of attachment points for these smaller parts drive me a bit cranky. My Dremel Stylus with my small bit set has helped me drill holes in these cases but sometimes the angle gets in the way...this one would have been tough to do but you did well!

I'm Done!

OK, maybe I could add some stuff to it yet but can't we say that about most builds?

Added the mirrors on last thing. Hard to do, no attachment point, will probably fall off before the end of the day. :rotf

h3b2543e.jpg

h5b2e1ac.jpg

ha3b22d4.jpg

Used the tombstone cans on the guns. Not sure if that's %100 accurate but I like the look of them. Used the spares in the bed.

ha82b6d4.jpg

h6bc4e75.jpg

Cut up some .3mm brass tube for the ejected shells and fixed with Migs pig fixer.

Thanks for all y'alls encouragement and suggestions. Glad to get this done so I can get back to something with wings! :pilot

"Mirrors? We don't need no stinking mirrors!!!"

Hey seriously, that really looks shop, Bob. it is a fine model....and done in time, too!

Thanks guys, yeah the silvering is still there, unsure why they wouldn't react to the Solvaset and they were put on top of a gloss coat.

Thanks guys, yeah the silvering is still there, unsure why they wouldn't react to the Solvaset and they were put on top of a gloss coat.

Wait, I thought you said the silvering on Nancy was was the photo? It's not in the later pics...

That looks awesome Bob! Great finish!

Isn't that the same gun set up carried in the M3 half track? I thought all o them had the tombstone cans??

That looks awesome Bob! Great finish!

Isn't that the same gun set up carried in the M3 half track? I thought all o them had the tombstone cans??

Yes, it's the exact same Quad gun setup that was used on the M16 Halftrack. The Quad gun is the M45 Quadmount that was trailer mounted, I think it was developed for area AA defense. As you see on these Vietnam Gun Trucks they were improvised for mission needs, guess they didn't have the M16 halftracks in country or they were retired at the time, I'm sure others can speak to this.

I didn't find any period photos of the gun trucks using the tombstone cans, these are the cans that came with the Dragon kit that I used for this build, the Academy Quad was minus the trailer, had it just mounted on the floor like what the M16 was.

Thanks Warren! :coolio

Not sure on accuracy Bob but it looks great to my eyes .

There were a lot of old things re-purposed in Vietnam .

One such example was bomb made to be used by the B-36 . Instead , they were rolled out of the back of C-130 , etc . I heard they made great landing pads for helicopters .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back