• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Going for an Airplane ride with von Richtohofen

h2825837.JPG

Unmasking reveals General Rickenbacker still cheerily enjoying his cigar. I couldn't be more pleased with how the canopy masks came out, or how clear the kit canopy still is.
Testors Metalizer sealer is my favorite clear coat. Acrylics creep under masking jobs less, but I'm still using up my old favorite enamel & lacquer paints.

h8f21013.JPG

Take THAT Enzo Ferrari!
The initial coat of flat red didn't cover the upper insides of the tip tanks, or the vertical
fins on them completely. I sealed the first coat, then did better on the second. I was pleased to find the PLA enamel Flat Red dried overnight! :yipee

I still have to finish the chubby sidewinders, wheels & afterburners!
Stay TOONED for more model fun In Another World!

hbbe3424.jpg

Unmasking this eve, to shoot the sealer coat for decals.

h4e60644.JPG

hf2d0853.JPG

The Red & Loomium needed some spot touch-ups. We shall see if The Baron is still focused, and if I am still a bit apprehensive about flying the backseat with a 91-year-old Fighter Pilot, when the canopy masks come off.

h9275ff0.JPG

On a more serious note, German F-104 pilots suffered great losses in their new Lockheed. I have made my very first purchase from Hannant's in UK to make a fo weel 1/72 Bundesmarine MFG-1 F-104G.
YA! Me!? a "Straight" Starfighter!
I can build a "Serious" model airplane. Mostly, I clearly choose not to!

Choose to what you choose to. (y)

Seems like there ought to be a funny car around somewhere. :idonno :mpup

Ja! A Vega or Camaro Funny Car!

h85638d9.JPG

I had a second set of MFG-1 decals made up for the Toon TF airplane. Since these were made for a one-of-a-kind project I shouldn't expect these markings to be available in any quantity. These are laser-printed. I shot a coat of decal clear on them anyway.

h7508d1e.JPG

Lookee! SHINY!

Ich danke Sie fur ihren besuch!

h6feb692.JPG

h43265ae.JPG

Just a start on my favorite part of modeling! Pictured here are IAW Graphics decals only. The Freedom Models kit comes with lots of decals of their own. They ROCK!
Stay tuned as this super-silly Toon-model Starfighter story unfolds! :notworthy :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

h6feb692.JPG

h43265ae.JPG

Just a start on my favorite part of modeling! Pictured here are IAW Graphics decals only. The Freedom Models kit comes with lots of decals of their own. They ROCK!
Stay tuned as this super-silly Toon-model Starfighter story unfolds! :notworthy :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

Get that stray hair... :frantic

h3f17014.JPG

That's about all the markings for the fin & rudder. The ship name on the tip-tank is a little more understated than I had hoped for.

hfe7d391.JPG

I won't bore everyone to death with the Blow-by-blow on General Eddie's jet markings. The Kit decals are excellent! There are LOTS of decals!! Good opacity, fine, thin, carrier film and they snuggle right down with a coating of Solvaset. Decals are my favorite stage of the build. It's when the story of the model starts to come to life.

A BIG "thank you" to Mike for alerting me to the Sprue Brothers Deal Of The Day when this model kit went on sale.
See!?! :yipee It's not just ME! :rotf I had help! :gogo
Thanks for looking in!

Link to the actual F-104 the Toon single seat kit markings are based on.
http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/Stars/wu910A.htm

The Hat in Ring 94th Aero squadron marking is on General Eddie's helmet.
When you are detached to fly with a hosting outfit it is traditional to bring your lucky, sweat-stained, flight suit, your own oxygen mask, helmet and golden jock-strap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLGuL4tQysM&list=PL0Zok0FlNkkQ9g28qXcOxccROzwlchxuS&index=16&t=0s

hb8fb725.JPG

h00eaace.JPG

One more decal to apply to General Eddie's stubby speedster! Burner can & wheels, and She'll be ready to attend Nordic-Con later this month!

hbf499b7.JPG

h38958ff.JPG

Der Baron's Red Rocket progresses as well!
I did promise not to bore you every time another decal went on. The IAW (Home-made)decal markings work really well.
Thanks for looking in!
:dance :yipee

Beautiful work! Man, I just love looking in at all your Threads; everything is so entertaining and exceptionally well done!

Back