• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (last build details)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (more pics 11-06)

Congratulations Paul!...amazing construction process :good:

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz.

Have drilled the holes in the top wing to fix the aileron horn missing thing. Should have a little more stuff done this weekend.

Have some new pics. Got them done before messing up my computer. Didn't loose any files though the programs are having to be reinstalled. Not a biggie and not all will be reinstalled. A fresh start is sometimes a good thing and the 'puter seems to be running a bit better already.

Here are some little update pics.

ALb_D-I_077.jpg

ALb_D-I_078.jpg

ALb_D-I_079.jpg

Just slow going but am still making progress and not having to do a lot of fixing. YAY! (y) Almost ready to start trying to paint this beast so stay tuned.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (more pics 11-17)

It may be slow going, but it's a thrill to see the fantastic work you're doing on it. Keep it coming Paul!

Thanks for your kind comments Bob and Mark. Should get a little more done on the Albatros this weekend.

Spent the last couple of days working on my computer as I managed to mess it up. Mostly back up to snuff just have to load up a few more programs. Much better installation this time around. (y)

It's been a little while since my last update. Got busy the the other night and did some work on this little beast and finally tried out my jig for mounting and aligning the top wing.

Why be wordy, here are the pictures.

ALb_D-I_080.jpg

ALb_D-I_081.jpg

ALb_D-I_082.jpg

ALb_D-I_083.jpg

ALb_D-I_084.jpg

ALb_D-I_085.jpg

ALb_D-I_086.jpg

More to come...

Now it's time to show the jig in use. It already helped point out a problem, but I will let the photos show that.

ALb_D-I_087.jpg

ALb_D-I_088.jpg

ALb_D-I_089.jpg

ALb_D-I_090.jpg

ALb_D-I_091.jpg

ALb_D-I_092.jpg

ALb_D-I_093.jpg

ALb_D-I_094.jpg

ALb_D-I_095.jpg

ALb_D-I_096.jpg

ALb_D-I_097.jpg

ALb_D-I_098.jpg

Hope you all like it!

That's quite the gizmo Paul! Looks like it was well worth the effort. (y) (y)

I'm sure you know about lens distortion so make sure you're using your rulers to check that warp.

So you get the wings on, how you going to paint this?

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06)

Bob, the top wing is not glued on. That is the beauty of this jig. This was just a first test. I willpull it back out, fix the center frame, test again and paint before attaching the top wing (with the jig).

Also the curve in the pic was there, I know about the camera thing. :D

That jig is a stroke of genius and well worth the effort to build! Brilliant man!

Great assembly process :good: ... I´m very impressed :good: .... great results will be achived (y)

Luiz.

Some nice paint work and i like your Jig/tools :geek

Thanks guys! The jig was mainly intended for the larger 1/32nd scale kits. Especially those like the Gotha and FelixStowe. There are others though that have several sets of wing struts that can get real tricky to get all lined up and make them stay that way while gluing them. It is real advantageous to be able to jig the tricky stuff in place, double, triple, quadruple check it then just add glue and walk off and let it dry.

Makes for less trouble, a better model, and much better glue joins as moving them around while they dry or set up weakens them. (sometimes A LOT) I can also see where it might be helpful to keep the plane in the jig while putting in the rigging. I use nylon monofilament thread and have a way to get it right though flexing of the model could cause problems.

Also doing this build has made me think up a couple of new small jig bits to use instead of the blocks that I am currently using.

I am also thinking about doing some redesign of the jig and posting the drawings to you guys if you want to make your own base parts. If you have a drill press and are a little handy with tools you could probably make most of your own main parts.

Got another cold (weird, 2 in as many months) I will try and get some paint on the wee beastie this weekend. The part I hate the most is spraying paint ( or at least to get "started" spraying paint) Once I get going it moves along well usually, it's just the getting started that holds me back always has I think.

med3d-ennuye.gif

Usually it takes a little of this:
sFun_hypnotize.gif

I think I am afraid of doing this:
face-plant.gif

But nothing ventured nothing gained.

Im the same way, a bad paint job can spoil a whole project so tend to put of starting for as long as possible but once I get started it usually works out. I probably need more practse with my arbrush to buld up more confdence, good luck !! (y)

Back