• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (last build details)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 8-05)

You're doing a good job using the WnW instructions as a guide. Honestly those kits are not that big of a challenge other than the rigging, you really have to think 5 steps ahead to make sure you get the rigging done correctly. Press on Paul! :pilot

Wow, I bow in the presence of greatness! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I don't think I could ever do something that small. yet you nailed these perfectly. I an humbled to be in your presence.

Wow, I bow in the presence of greatness! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I don't think I could ever do something that small. yet you nailed these perfectly. I an humbled to be in your presence.

Thanks Mark, you have to remember though that what I do for a living starts at small and goes to tinier than this (just barely) so working with this stuff is just barely doable.

I got the ammo boxes broke loose, the machine guns all assembled and painted (Alclad gunmetal) and set up a small jig to mount the right hand gun to the ammo boxes and then scratchbuild the chute to the brass collector box. Delicate pain in the can but I got it. Now to mod the firewall as it is too tall due to the PE mounts that are below the barrels.

There was a reason I had not closed up the Fuselage yet. :gogo :D

Paul,

I am sorry I haven't commented on this thread before. I have simply been absent from MA lately.

I have no words. Actually I am withdrawing my thread since it seems only a bunch of melted and painted plastick compared to this masterpiece of yours. Seriously, I can only dream of achieving this Level of perfection.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I am looking Forward to reading again more calmly your Posts and absorbing the teachings.

Cheers

Alex

We have a big update here tonight and there are enough photos that it will be a double post. (you know I don't like dumping more than 10 pics in one post)

It's also big because the fuselage is now closed up! So let's get to it!

ALb_D-I_039.jpg

ALb_D-I_040.jpg

ALb_D-I_041.jpg

ALb_D-I_042.jpg

ALb_D-I_043.jpg

ALb_D-I_044.jpg

ALb_D-I_045.jpg

ALb_D-I_046.jpg

ALb_D-I_047.jpg

ALb_D-I_048.jpg

ALb_D-I_049.jpg

Yup, continued...

And! Here is the rest!

ALb_D-I_050.jpg

ALb_D-I_051.jpg

ALb_D-I_052.jpg

ALb_D-I_053.jpg

ALb_D-I_054.jpg

ALb_D-I_055.jpg

ALb_D-I_056.jpg

ALb_D-I_057.jpg

ALb_D-I_058.jpg

Not sure when the next update will be because I have finally jumped into the bi-wing builds and my alignment fixture needs some more jig parts. I have been brainstorming on how to make the various parts so they will be useful on my many Wingnut Wings kits. Especially the larger planes like the Gotha and the Felix-Stowe. I discovered a while back that by assembling the touchy models with a really tight micro adjusting jig that you can have it hold things together exactly how you want it "before" you glue it. This also helps to cure and work out any alignment and fit problems before you get it glued wrong. :D

And! Here is the rest!

ALb_D-I_050.jpg

ALb_D-I_051.jpg

ALb_D-I_052.jpg

ALb_D-I_053.jpg

ALb_D-I_054.jpg

ALb_D-I_055.jpg

ALb_D-I_056.jpg

ALb_D-I_057.jpg

ALb_D-I_058.jpg

Not sure when the next update will be because I have finally jumped into the bi-wing builds and my alignment fixture needs some more jig parts. I have been brainstorming on how to make the various parts so they will be useful on my many Wingnut Wings kits. Especially the larger planes like the Gotha and the Felix-Stowe. I discovered a while back that by assembling the touchy models with a really tight micro adjusting jig that you can have it hold things together exactly how you want it "before" you glue it. This also helps to cure and work out any alignment and fit problems before you get it glued wrong. :D

Great job Paul, to me it looks like there may be a backing plate to the spinner, that's what the lip looks like.

:popcorn

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 8-13)

Stunning work Paul! I don't know that I would ever go that far, but then again; I haven't got a lathe! LOL! :facepalm :D I am most impressed and humbled by watching your attention to such detail; this is most exceptional work already. Keep going man!

Thanks for your kind remarks Mark and NSmekanik, hope you guys keep following along.

thank-you.gif

Great job Paul, to me it looks like there may be a backing plate to the spinner, that's what the lip looks like.

:popcorn

Thanks for looking in Bob! Always appreciated. As to the backing plate, it says something about that in the little black box where I sign off for the post. Glad you made the effort to mention it though, 'cause I might have missed it otherwise. :D

Now back to designing some new tools to go with my jig plate. Too many of these fiddly biplanes to just trust it to luck. Half the fun is designing the tool, then I get to make it! Have already done enough things with the base setup that I know it can be a huge help if I do the tool(s) right.

Basically my tooling will align and hold the "unglued" parts together and allow me to fine tune the alignment BEFORE gluing it together. Then will hold it perfectly until the glue sets and/or dries. I did this with a 1/48th scale Fw190 night fighter and it worked great. Also since the glued parts didn't shift around at all while setting up they set up stronger than just basic gluing. If I do it right, I might also be able to do rigging without having to worry about the wings shifting around.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 8-13)

It has been a bit since I had anything to update. The jig system I had envisioned for working on large planes and especially bi-planes was eating at me and this was the perfect time to design and build it. This kit could be a good test bed for it.

Now that the base tools have been made and some modifications already done to facilitate better and easier usage it was time.

ALb_D-I_059.jpg

ALb_D-I_060.jpg

I started to mount the elevator tonight, but found a flaw with the back of the fuselage that needs to be addressed first. Using the elevator mount on this kit is also overkill, but having it here helps to make sure the elevator and horizontal stabilizer are level and square.

Check back in a couple of days for that.

The nice thing about this is that I can get it all aligned "just right" Then add liquid solvent or CA and shut things down for the evening. Nothing will shift or move and when the parts are held without moving the bonds are much stronger.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (the jig in use 10-25)

Very cool stuff.
I think the spinner is the same as the D.V. If so Bo Monroe has one that is very nice.

710x528_9548222_6596705_1499716498.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LFCPY2VEQ/1-32-albatros-spinner-for-axial-prop?optionId=56471826

Check his other Alby and WWI stuff here also

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LFCPY2VEQ/1-32-albatros-spinner-for-axial-prop?optionId=56471826

James

Thanks for the links and looking in James. (y) Those are for the 1/32 WNW and Roden kits though, this is 1/48th. BTW, glad it seems you are feeling better and you are building again!

I already reshaped the spinner and it just needs the plate behind the prop blade to finish it up. For now I am assembling the fuselage and wings (with the new jigs). Kind of a test run. If it works on the 1/48th kit (as it should and is so far) there shouldn't be any problems with the 1/32 scale kits.

Just imagine the wings being held in place and being able to place the struts and get them all aligned before gluing. (yup, that's the goal anyway) Have the plane held in place so the landing gear can be lined up and set. (that one can apply to any plane)

I must be stunned, totally missed the scale. Oops.
still enjoying the build.
Thanks, marginally better but I'm trying.

:popcorn :D
James

That is really cool, the attention to detail is stellar. (y)

Back