• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (last build details)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 7-16)

Thanks Bob, I am really enjoying this build. It is small enough to make me reign in my super detailing a bit, but big enough to still tweak up to the way it should be.

Thanks for the nice comment nsmekanik!

Glad you like it Christian, thanks!

I take that as high praise from you James, much appreciated!

Magnificent work on that engine, it looks so realistic. I'm amazed at how well you can do this kind of work and make it all look so easy. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y)

Thanks for looking in Paul. This is a bit different from kits I have been building and I am liking this kit for the most part. As I have stated before there are a few things that were either missed or were too difficult to add to the molds. Some things like the ailerons on this plane have a bar that is in a notch forward of the hinge that are just not there. That will need a slot added and maybe all the control surfaces cut off for grins for posing. Mostly it is basically correct and there just a few little things.

It is also practice for the WNW kits. So far so good. (y) Not been any big red spots made on the wall with this on so far. :D

I have passed a milestone on this build. The cockpit is finished. It is ready to button up, but I am going to hold off just a bit until I get the machine guns built and test fit in place. There is just too much on this kit that has to be carefully fit together in order to build it. Not that things don't fit or that it isn't done well, just very tricky.

ALb_D-I_021.jpg

ALb_D-I_022.jpg

ALb_D-I_023.jpg

ALb_D-I_024.jpg

ALb_D-I_025.jpg

ALb_D-I_026.jpg

ALb_D-I_027.jpg

ALb_D-I_028.jpg

ALb_D-I_029.jpg

ALb_D-I_030.jpg

Please let me know what you think folks. While it looks pretty decent to me for what it is, I would appreciate any constructive critiques you might have.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 7-24)

Thanks for the comment Bob! I know the photos show a lot of detail, they just don't really show how SMALL the detail is. While it is bigger than 1/72, at 1/48th it is still fairly small. I have some interesting things thought up for later steps to add some better detail I think you will like it.

I didn't get much done last weekend due to the "long drive" to Omaha etc. I did manage to get a few things done over the last couple of days though. I like the Master Model machined Spandau barrels and PE but you really need to have some serious magnification and fine tweezers to do them well.

You'll see. :blink

ALb_D-I_031.jpg

ALb_D-I_032.jpg

ALb_D-I_033.jpg

ALb_D-I_034.jpg

ALb_D-I_035.jpg

ALb_D-I_036.jpg

ALb_D-I_037.jpg

ALb_D-I_038.jpg

You're a madman Paul!!

Truly a masterpiece though so far! I know how small this kit is too from my W4

:popcorn

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 8-05)

Thanks Paul, Dave, Warren and Bob for your kind comments. They are much appreciated as always.

Warren that W4 kit (at least my copy) looks to be a real challenge. My copy has a bunch of added resin and some other things. Nothing any worse than what is in the D.I, but a nice challenge. Building this might even get me to finish my early Eduard Hannover (which is a REALLY poor kit) That one is someplace about half done.

I discovered last night that I was smart in waiting to close the fuselage until I had done the machine guns. The way Eduard did the construction and mounting isn't all that great on these. If you plan ahead a little it is possible to work around that and get the optimal fit.

The machine guns mount to the ammo chutes and the rear is supposed to set on the cross member. (no photos yet but never fear :blink ) The way the ammo container mounts is not very positive so it is a best guess. I tacked mine in place after the interior was built. Since it is just "tacked" I can pop it back out and reposition now that I have the guns built.

Also there is a used brass chute that should be from the right hand gun to the used brass catch that is entirely missing. The left gun has a cover on the fuselage that would cover the chute on that side so it isn't an issue.

I have also cut the elevator mostly apart in prep for it hanging down in the photo. Once the whole part is firmly attached to the fuselage I will fully detach the elevator. Once I get to that point it should speed along fairly well. I would like to have it finished for the Huntsville show, but would rather finish it right than rush and screw it up. As this is also a learning build, it is just going to take a bit longer as I figure a bunch out and learn some new techniques.

Thanks to everyone that is looking in! I have been keeping tabs on the views and it has jumped a lot in the last couple of weeks. If you like what you see leave a comment and let us know who you are, if you aren't a current MA member join up with us.

Try it,
sFun_hypnotize.gif
you'll like it!

Back