• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dora 1/35

Hi, here with another update on the Dora build, started to work on the bridges connecting the cars.
Here one of the bridges, very nice details, even the welding on the sides is all there.

First the PE wire mesh is installed

Next the small 2 steps ladders are constructed, they made the ladders with only double tubes
As steps, in my opinion and after looking all over the book I don’t think it is right. So with balsa wood I constructed the steps for each ladder.

In this photo you can see what I mean by double tubes steps, and the new wood step

The finished ladder looks way better with the wood steps

Now the storage boxes on front of the cars are modified, the hinge details are too big, so with a
Small file I sanded it down to a more to scale size.

Now that the hinges are resized I added details and latches to the small access door on top of the box

Also handles made with copper wire

The other box is detailed also

The strange looking locking system is my interpretation of it after melting my eyes looking at the photos on the Taube book

Some rivet details were added with archers resin rivet detail decals

Here the ladders and boxes in place

Now I moved to the installation of the hand rails, as you can see this are way too tall, with the trumpeter figure body it is up to his chest.

I’m thinking between cutting it down to the correct high and replacing it with brass rod.

Thanks for watching

Abdin

Fantastic work Abdin, especially working with that PE screen without bending it! :notworthy

Yeah it seems that all these big kits really are just rough cuts for true modellers to turn into real jewels like you are doing with the Dora. I always wonder how things can be done such that they end up so out of scale and proportion.

Keep up the good work! (y)

I have seen one of these built up n the flesh and it is MASSIVE. Will be watching yours with keen interest. Great job so far on your Build.....Cheers mark

Thanks guys, already ordered the brass rods to make the new railings
About 40 feet of brass to make sure I have enough to do it all.
Christian you are right, it looks a little too wide at 1.65mm, so I bought it
1.5mm to be on a safe zone. Im working on the trunnions detailing some area
A lot of work ahead but enjoing it at the same time.

Abdin

Sounds like a good plan on the brass :)

Glad I did not say anything stupid on the rail since I have never studied any of the pictures .
Also wondered about the possibility of the figures being too short but that's highly unlikely.

Very difficult to wrap my mind around the immensity of this cannon .

Looking forward to more :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

If in doubt, do a little scaling with a ruler and some math to see just how high the model railing is. Don't just judge it by the figure even though that is an indicator. Also, see how the railings fit against figures in the old photos of the real thing. One last thing, the majority of Germans were under 6ft tall during WW2.

Hi guys, Christian I don't have that problem with the Dora fitting in my garage, already sold the car Lol :gogo :rotf

Heavens Eagle, you are right, already have the approximate measurements for the new railing. in a build from a German guy he shortened it by 10mm, but I'm not sure about it, think it will be a little less, will see.

Hi guys!
Update on the Dora continues, the brass arrived and started to make the needed hand rails.
I used K&S brass rod 1.5mm
fOet2tC.jpg

Using the original handrails as a guide, the different pieces are held together with tape to be soldered
pMGE4V8.jpg

76B3j0K.jpg

The finished parts for one of the cars ready to install
fgN81Xu.jpg

Now it looks like this with the new handrails, these are now 27mm tall from the floor to the top of the rail tube. After observing the original photos and comparing it to the rails on the trumpeters Leopold it now looks right.
3WYf9TS.jpg

zE15OFp.jpg

6eJ9uVv.jpg

Now with the rails height corrected, the large storage box of on one of the front cars needs to be corrected to match the new height.
c73W6DX.jpg

I Used 2.5 x 3mm square styrene rod to make the box match the new height of the handrail.
lyMVJjU.jpg

The new parts glued in place
2dgDyjO.jpg

Small styrene triangles are cut to make the reinforcements on the box sides
tjM1HbO.jpg

The finished box
0JcRq8s.jpg

xVGOyQs.jpg

NsBDvbb.jpg

Now the box and the handrails are the same height
NqUgTiK.jpg

Uuj7hsh.jpg

Now I moved to the trunnions, this are the parts that hold the complete gun assembly on both sides of the main carriage. The trunnions where finished before I decided to redo all the handrails so I had to remove all the handrails and supports from each side
The platform or bridge of the trunnion is also assembled and the new handrail constructed and installed
ssx7ZTG.jpg

pbv1xiU.jpg

Now working on the side handrails of the trunnions, almost done. More coming.
Thanks!
Abdin

Back