• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dora 1/35

Hi to all and thanks for your comments, here with an update on the Dora, work continues on the 8 cars brake system and wheels.

The brake system is very detailed and has many parts making it time consuming
7l4E6Sv.jpg

LPw1Hi1.jpg

The wheels and axles are cleaned and ready to install
7SDEH67.jpg

With the brakes finished I installed the sides of the car followed by the wheels, the walls snaps in to place neatly and also have bolts to secure and reinforce it.
5Su4amq.jpg

All the parts glued in place
EDFtBHX.jpg

HPQVRgO.jpg

Next upper part of the car is detailed and the side ladders are assembled, please note that the parts position are reversed on the instructions, so part 19 goes on the upper side and 20 goes down.
mLuHiad.jpg

The front of the car is also very detailed and the coupling mechanism is movable.
Ck1HDWe.jpg

LBVkLMv.jpg

Side and top details
epb8y5X.jpg

ldX97Lo.jpg

The other end car
DoO6NBw.jpg

This two were once a long 10 axle car, you can see the differences between each.
Now you have four of each, 4 for the front and four for the back of the main carriage.
7BRY5nM.jpg

iYCGnzt.jpg

Finally I made 8 end plates out of styrene sheet to cover the end of each car were it was cut
3WMCGfI.jpg

NYDRTx7.jpg

dVDyTfu.jpg

qZac0pK.jpg

After the cars are finished I took a look at the aluminum rails and noticed it look oversize,
so I search on other Dora builds and confirmed the rails are too big. The rails are 8mm tall by 7.1
Wide, compared to a regular trumpeter rail that is 5 mm tall by 3.1 wide. Here you can see the
Difference in size
A trumpeter figure with the aluminum rail
aOuUDVR.jpg

MvWhR0a.jpg

And both rails
xj0uemH.jpg

The model comes with its own base; it is nicely detailed very strong and heavy but in my opinion
The ballast is way too big
O6l04fe.jpg

next another problem encountered is that the width between the rails is 45mm on the Dora rails, the standard rail width is 41mm in 1/35 scale. So if I’m going to use the trumpeter rails I need to modify the wheels on all the cars to fit the trumpeter track. I searched again on other old builds and this guy discovered that the inside spacer on the wheel is 2 mm Width, so by removing it the inside width can be adjusted to 41mm, yes! All this means the original base is not going to be used unless I can come with an idea of how to. So by now I will keep working with trumpeters
Now I have to carefully remove all the axles from each car to make the modification, remove 2mm from inside each wheel
xfLqqjf.jpg

So with my dremel I removed the plastic, leaving it level is exactly 2mm
I2LgtZo.jpg

Now it looks like this
TxK0z1L.jpg

All installed in place again, the wheels are dry mounted so if I want to use the original rail with the original base all you have to do is move the wheels to the side and it will be 45mm again
288w612.jpg

So I tested the car on a trumpeter track and it worked perfectly
HY6OKRC.jpg

bNwoSqJ.jpg

v6svDmg.jpg

With this the cars are finished, now I started to work on the bridges that go between each set of cars.
thanks for watching!
Abdin

Abdin, I am amazed at the quality & the detail of this kit. YOur attention to detail is also superb! (y) I'm not much on an Armor guy buut, I'm really enjoying your build & I shoulda grabbed this kit when I had the opprotunity! (just no funds) :popcorn :drinks

Excellent work Adbin .... I noticed that the brake shoes still fit properly great, and the ballast I'd very large, check Woodland Scenics. They should have some that'll do ... :soldier :soldier :soldier (y)

Ed, Mike, Dave thanks guys

Ed thats why It took me 8 years to finally have one, I end paying 560 with shipping, I think I did a good buy. Still a expensive model.

Swordman I already have the woodland ballast, I want to try to use the original base. Maybe end sanding it and using the trumpeter tracks with the
Woodland ballast, dont know yet.

Thanks Christian

Lots going on, Abdin, moving the wheels inside some, does that change the striking point of the breaks against the wheels?

Hi moon puppy, actually the brake pads are now in the correct position against the wheels. If you look at the first photos of the wheels and the one after the change you can notice how the pads now are in the correct position, weird right?

Ahhh....then it looks like they planned on the brakes being correct, wasn't like someone measured wrong, axle too wide or whatever. Nice!

:popcorn

Ed, Mike, Dave thanks guys

Ed thats why It took me 8 years to finally have one, I end paying 560 with shipping, I think I did a good buy. Still a expensive model.

That is a good deal! I could've gotten one for about half that if I had the money. I would've had to go get it tho...

Hi, here with another update on the Dora build, started to work on the bridges connecting the cars.
Here one of the bridges, very nice details, even the welding on the sides is all there.
HQCcedy.jpg

First the PE wire mesh is installed
H37aMsA.jpg

RelTMIA.jpg

Next the small 2 steps ladders are constructed, they made the ladders with only double tubes
As steps, in my opinion and after looking all over the book I don’t think it is right. So with balsa wood I constructed the steps for each ladder.
V4rAq2p.jpg

In this photo you can see what I mean by double tubes steps, and the new wood step
XXPXr3y.jpg

The finished ladder looks way better with the wood steps
kPAtRtW.jpg

Now the storage boxes on front of the cars are modified, the hinge details are too big, so with a
Small file I sanded it down to a more to scale size.
a5BJvh3.jpg

Now that the hinges are resized I added details and latches to the small access door on top of the box
A1v4MLb.jpg

5JaXSIe.jpg

Also handles made with copper wire
PqXplnE.jpg

The other box is detailed also
RSjbUSd.jpg

The strange looking locking system is my interpretation of it after melting my eyes looking at the photos on the Taube book
0OzC7Ul.jpg

Some rivet details were added with archers resin rivet detail decals
RHjLM1w.jpg

Here the ladders and boxes in place
7J35xJo.jpg

Now I moved to the installation of the hand rails, as you can see this are way too tall, to the trumpeter figure body it is up to his chest.
0JlaNCW.jpg

SHcPPKj.jpg

I’m thinking between cutting it down to the correct high or replacing it with brass rod.
Thanks for watching
Abdin

Back