• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry - Phil - Revell B-25J Gun Nose - Done!

Re: CTA Entry - Phil - Revell B-25J Gun Nose

What an ugly (yet beautiful) smile!
:ro: (y)

Regards,

Thanks Saul, will give a decent straight on pic when I try to improve the decal look, and when all finished, it sure would of made one mean scary sight coming at you with all those .50's blazing away!!

Amazing job here Phil! Its quite a difference those brass barrels make! The silver finish turned out well too!

Well!! here we are to date
decals went on very nice, all except the nose one - end result - well you can see, best one could do with it, had to remove the first half and cut in various places to make it join and conform to the shape, one of the toughest decals I've ever worked with.
Three hits with Future helped rid some probs but still has some creases that just cannot be smoothed out.
still have to do a little patching up with paint on the decal
DSC_7185x1.jpg

DSC_7186x1.jpg

DSC_7187x1.jpg

DSC_7189x1.jpg

DSC_7190x1.jpg

DSC_7191x1.jpg

Can't see any problems Phil, either you're being too critical or you got the right camera angles working... :rotf

That has to be a tough decal to work with. Good job

Nice looking warbird there. Sometimes it's easier to use the decal as a pattern to make a painting mask to paint the nose with. It sure looks pretty good to me. Artists often notice little things in their work that others would never even consider. Well done!

Cheers

Many thanks guys, MP you are right on the money - right camera angles !!!!

I'll not hide anything with the next lot of pics so you can see what I'm on about - but yes very tough decal to work, rather than tempt disaster with it by trying more on it will leave it as is.

Did the canopies today and all came out quite good, my nemesis of stain reared it's head again on the pit one which is just plain weird as the rest are near perfect.....

Weathering - I plan not to do much with it as I'm finding the metal sealer very fragile, there are minimal recessed panel lines which have Vallejo black wash in them now, some staining is around the engine areas, and I will be doing some staining on the gear legs plus dust smears along the undersides where applicable.

Cheers!

now I'm really going slow - this is getting too close to the finish. :D
Right, canopies started tonight,

DSC_7204xp.jpg

and dirtied up the power plants somewhat

DSC_7207xs.jpg

tail almost done, guns will go on later -
DSC_7208xt.jpg

For MP - the front decal - close up - still have to do some paint touch up on it then hit it with the Future/flatcoat mix.
DSC_7215xn.jpg

props on later as well!

WOW, you are seriously moving along with this one. She is looking fine!!!

Phil, can you score those folds and run decal set in them? Run a slit with a sharp blade then flood it with decal solution. What are you using BTW?

What a pretty bird. Coming along very nicely (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks MP tried that tonight, some success, I use my very limited Future for decals under and over on all my kits.

Decided to get creative on the bland waist guns
DSC_7229wa.jpg

DSC_7232wa.jpg

and got the top turret on tonight
DSC_7235t2000.jpg

DSC_7242t2000.jpg

just about done!!

Finished the B-25 tonight !!

Overall a good kit - very enjoyable to build - a fair amount of clean-up on parts was needed.
My first real NMF - I am quite blown away how this has turned out.

Raised panel lines - left those well alone for the weathering side of things, while the metal paint was a breeze to work with it is very easy to stain, I'm not sure if the Testors metaliser sealer is fully compatible with this paint.

I used Vallejo black wash in the limited recessed PL and around the engines, Tamiya weathering sets used as well for a bit of dust and staining of the power plants.

Added -
landing light ''globes''
fuel and air vents rear of nacelles brass tube
waist ammo belts and gun sights
gear door arms
RB Model brass .50Mg barrels

DSC_7284x1A.jpg

DSC_7283x1.jpg

DSC_7289x1.jpg

DSC_7292x1a.jpg

DSC_7282x2.jpg

I may re paint the canvas tail gun cover OD not that fussed with the brown colour
DSC_7262x1.jpg

DSC_7281x1.jpg

DSC_7279x1a.jpg

DSC_7278x1a.jpg

DSC_7261x2.jpg

DSC_7259x1.jpg

DSC_7266x2b.jpg

DSC_7277x1.jpg

DSC_7275x1.jpg

DSC_7273x1.jpg

props spin very nicely!
DSC_7274x1.jpg

DSC_7259xsp.jpg

DSC_7272x1.jpg

I still have to go to the LHS to pick up some flat clear to mix with some Future and do the nose decal to tone the shine down a touch.

Also want to take some photos in daylight - should be interesting!

Will post one in the completed CTA section soon.

Excellent finish, Phil- and a great display of craftsmanship with that beautiful NMF. Cheers!

chuk

Thanks Chuk! I didn't know what I was doing with that paint and no idea how it would come out, photos in daylight should be interesting! or blinding :D

Cheers!

Back