• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry - Phil - Revell B-25J Gun Nose - Done!

Re: CTA Entry - Phil - Revell B-25J Gun Nose

Thanks MP and Luiz :drinks

Rear gun in place, I will add the barrels and rear cover after painting
DSC_6427xp.jpg

You get moulded seatbelts on the kit, but a seated pilot so he will hide one!!
A little more to be done on him yet
DSC_6441xp.jpg

The top turret wouldn't rotate with the shell collection bags fouling on the added parts around the fuse, so a nip and tuck = a rotating turret.
DSC_6424xp.jpg

The gun elevation was not good either, it just flopped down as no real support for the cradle, so a few bits of scrap plastic rod glued on top where the gun cradle sat. and two pieces of cut off plastic barrel glued into the mounting space fixed this, now the gun stays at the angle you want it.
DSC_6425xp.jpg

added some pieces of .50 cal Pe ammo belts over the moulded belts
DSC_6430xp.jpg

DSC_6431xp.jpg

A few more pieces to glue in then a bit of planning before I commit to closing it up

Looking great Phil!! (y)

Here is the last look of the inside parts!
Glued this together tonight and started the not so good seam cleanup,
DSC_6514x1.jpg

DSC_6518x1.jpg

one large chunk of lead weightover th nose gear for starters
DSC_6521x1.jpg

finished the figures today
DSC_6522x1.jpg

DSC_6525x1.jpg

DSC_6528x1.jpg

I used some leftover stencil decals on the clipboard and seated pilot's notes.
more later.

Very nice Phil. Thats going to look very cool with air crew and ground crew (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks MP although to be honest my prep work and this model isn't the best for that BMF to come!

seams are giving me a lot of grief, the question is how much does one sand away, too much due to the inward sloping fuse seams = loss of shape, maybe I can pass it off as airframe stress???!!! :D

wings and tailplane on tonite - and a bit more prep work...........

that big brick wall appeared - the nosecone.
seems this was made narrower than the fuse so probs reared it's ugly head

DSC_6731tl.jpg

and too add to that
DSC_6735ft.jpg

the way the kit goes together you have no option really but to glue the nosecone with the guns installed, even more so with the replaced brass barrels - so how to stop spraying layers of paint on them and protect the gunmetal finish?

DSC_6738p.jpg

I use a brass rod the same diameter as the barrels, rolled around a writing pad sheet of paper, Ca glued the join
DSC_6739p.jpg

and Viola !
DSC_6742p.jpg

so after 3 or more ?! attempts to get the nosecone acceptable
DSC_6814fin.jpg

the large decal should cover that annoying seam
DSC_6815fin.jpg

and this is as far as I dare go with that top seam
DSC_6817fin.jpg

ever onward!

Gun condoms! :laugh: Rock on, Phil! (y)

Phil, you're doing great...

You just reminded me of that top seam. I still have one of these in the stash as I hoped to kit bash with the Accurate Miniatures early Mitchell (how I wished they released a late version).

Regards,

Thanks guys, that top seam still isn't the best but damn how much do you sand off the thing, I really didn't want to go down the putty route so I think that will do it

will see after the metal paint is on , fingers crossed hey!

Cheers!

Dear Phil.

...great!nice airbrushing job...love this plane :zen

:drinks

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz, but no airbrushing yet, that's my base coat done with good old Tamiya rattle can A/S 12 silver and T/s 29 semi gloss black - the real fun will begin when I load the Badger Krome with Mr Hobby metal Aluminium, again today was a washout for spraying because of strong wind blowing - lots of dust.

:D yeah Mike that description also passed through my mind!!!

They work so well! got the anti glare OD on today anyway, again Tamiya rattlecan OD A/S 6

I really do not have a clue how this metal paint is going to turn out - it is one big experiment!

Got a break today hot temps and gentle breeze so got the AB going.

Paint went on absolute flawless, couple of parts I hit hard and thought the worst but this stuff dries so quick it doesn't have time to run.

I let it sit for two hours

It's messy to polish, I used two new blue disposable gloves that turned silver, I didn't want this paint on my hands and fingers for an extended time, took me hours to polish it.

polishing the paint - it is tough stuff, very surprising considering how thin this is, no thinning required.

Used two full bottles - Badger Krome with .33 tip ate the paint!!

My basecoat of Tamiya rattlecan A/S12 silver worked well but the semigloss black worked better , the A/S12 is too grainy, a better choice would of been T/S 17 gloss silver, the one I used on the nose of the Spirit.

By the time I got some photos the sun was just about gone plus I had dialed up +1.0 flash compensation for some other photos I shot yesterday and forgot to reset it, :bang head this resulted in a hundred and thousands coloured effect on the pics so I shot some more but still not the best to view.

most of these are just indoor flash shots
DSC_6945b.jpg

DSC_6912x1.jpg

DSC_6925b.jpg

DSC_6932c.jpg

DSC_6950a.jpg

DSC_6951A.jpg

cam flash + fluro globe lamplight...
DSC_6976b.jpg

just camera flash
DSC_6978a.jpg

DSC_6979a.jpg