• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA entry Phantom II Saburo Sakai's A6M2

Thanks Joey , Randy , Adam . Going good so far, but let's not jinx it.

For a Hasegawa kit it has some flaws I would not have expected but nothing real difficult .

Watching the the first coat of primmer harden . Have at least one thing to doctor up. May be ready for some paint tomorrow night. :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

After doctoring up the a wing scribe line , I shot a 2nd coat of primer and let it set up . Meanwhile I decided to build some detail.

Glad I did, these two parts hardly fit together.

Zeke_painted_003a.jpg

After some sanding and polishing it was ready for a polished metal look .

Zeke_painted_004a.jpg

Zeke_painted_005a.jpg

I think I have decided I don't care for these props with separate blades. At least, I had the option of blades and spinner shape for an earlier version.

Zeke_painted_007a.jpg

Finally a proper propeller !

Meanwhile, I mixed some paints and Future and gave it it's primary color .

Zeke_painted_006a.jpg

Should be ready for decals tomorrow.

Comments are welcome. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Christian B)

This will be my last update until next year . Happy new year everyone.

Decaled_and_sealed_006a.jpg

Decals are on . Future is curing :)

Comments are always welcomed. Cheers, Christian B)

I have managed to tinker with this thing the last couple of days . This is what I have accomplished.

I did get the landing gear assembled. I replaced the torque links with some PE and ran the brake lines.

landing_gear_002a.jpg

I also did the pin wash on the airframe and just applied a sealer coat over it.

pin_wash_001a.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Thanks for looking . Comments are welcomed .

Cheers, Christian B)

Excellent work Chris! :popcorn
I have this kit in my stash a Beauty, I saw new Tamiya and Fine Molds in person but I will stick to the Hasegawa in 72nd scale.

All the best!
Dusan.

Thanks Bob , Mike , Mr T for the encouraging comments .

Thanks Dusan for that bit of info. I have not seen either of the competitors but for the price of the Fine molds version I can't imagine how much better it could possibly be for such a price difference . I plan on a model 32 in the not too distant future ( I hope ) and a Rufe as well.
They will all be Hasegawa.

Cheers, Christian B)

Missed your update Chris, its looking great!!

WHen you said you used some sprue to fill the wing roots, did you mean you stretched the sprue and used that as filler? The Draken I'm working on has some nasty gaps that I'm not entirely sure what to use to fill them, and saw your comment and it got me thinking about maybe trying that.

Thanks Adam and Dave for the kind words..... :)

It sure does not appear to have accomplished much over the weekend but it has all been very tedious work.

weekend_005a.jpg

The most obvious change is the addition of the windscreen and rear glass section but you might also notice some home made brass items . The crew access ladder, ADF antenna, gear position indicators and the nav lights have been painted on.

From this angle you might notice the home made barreks for the machine guns and the 20 MM canons. Also the splitter for the carb intake.

weekend_002a.jpg

Finally, I spent a day working on the Sakae 21 engine . I added the brass push rod tubes, the ignition harness ans ignition wires. I must admit it looks better to the naked eye :(

engine_001a.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow the canopy will be masked and painted.

Thanks for looking . Comments welcomed !

Cheers, Christian B)

Back