• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA entry Phantom II Saburo Sakai's A6M2

phantom II

Master at Arms
Hello everyone ! :) Finally called the renovations completed . :)

Pictures to follow soon :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

Hello everyone ! :) Finally called the renovations completed . :)

Pictures to follow soon :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

If you want it I have the 1/32 scale Master Box Saburo Sakai figure. He's standing. It's yours if you want it. PM me your address and I'll mail it out to you.

Cheers

We'll start off with the obligatory date.

A6M2_002a.jpg

The kit is one of the 1/72 Hasegawa A6M Zero.

A6M2_003a.jpg

I will modify it if necessary and I will use the following Berna decals.

A6M2_004a.jpg

Amazingly, I don't have a great deal of references on the Zero but I have this trusty old Squadron book. I hope it will be sufficient.

A6M2_005a.jpg

And now a picture of the man himself which I found on the public domain . Saburo Sakai

359px-Saburo_Sakai.jpg

I remember reading about him back in High school . One of the top Japanese aces and best of all he out lived the war.

Thanks for looking .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi there.

I don't know if it's still in print but there was/is an absolutely fantastic autobiography book "SAMURAI" which was written by Saburo Sakai (obviously if it's an autobiography ;<)) and Martin Caidin. It tells how the Zero pilots trained anddetails Saburo Sakai's feats including his return to aerial combat after being injured. I read it many years ago and it was an enthralling read that gave amost interesting insight to those Japanese aircraft carrier fighter pilots.

I found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Saburo-Sakai/dp/0743412834

Cheers from Peter

Well, made a bit of progress yesterday . Basically sorting things out.

The kit came with a good assortment of wings . The weel wells are well detailed.

Zero_003a.jpg

The interior is devoid of details except for a few ejector marks ( good old Hasegawa )

Zero_001a.jpg

I had to rob some other kits for some updates .

Zero_005a.jpg

Zero_006a.jpg

Guess I'll just have to go to a swap meet and replace these for future builds ( Darn ! )

For some reason I though this kit would have the earlier cowling but it did not, so I had to rob a Rufe of it's cowl.

Zero_004a.jpg

Finally, everything is in one pile. Scribed and ejector marks removed . Ready to build :)

Zero_007a.jpg

By the way, this is the first Hasegawa kit I have ever seen with warpage and flash. :idonno

Thanks for looking .

Cheers, Christian B)

While the resin was soaking in cleaner I did a bit of painting .

First the cowling.

kitchen_ect_002a.jpg

Than a preshading of dark gray in the well and doors. Follow by some Future.

kitchen_ect_001a.jpg

and then the Aotake varnish.

shading_001a.jpg

The fuselage will need some careful thinning , so it may take a bit longer for the next update.

Thanks for looking . Comments, always welcomed .

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice job on the aotaki. Looks really good. Chris is the cowling just black or did you add some blue to it? Coming along nicely.
James

Bob it's a mixture of clear blue and clear green over aluminum . The aluminum picture seems to have got lost in cyberspace . :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks, Bob, James and Joey for the comments.

A few updates tonight . Must have lost my head earlier, that wasa not the appropriate color for the wheel wells so they were repainted.

well_001a.jpg

Started on the resin cockpit and promptly broke the rear bulk head but I came up with a repair . epoxy and a bit of trimmed PE made a respectable patch so I managed to install it on the floor.

cockpit_001a.jpg

From there I thinned the cockpit walls and installed more resin updates .

The cockpit is still being painted. This is where I am now.

cockpit_002a.jpg

cockpit_003a.jpg

That's it for tonight. Comments are welcome.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back