• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Catalina for my Dad

It's a good point, Chris, but I've spent a LOT of time around boats of all shapes and sizes and you can see 'off brown' stains on aluminium, fibreglass and wooden hulls. I think it may be the 'oily residue' that usually lies on the top of water wherever boats are moored.

Ian.

Great effects Ian, I suppose if the aircraft was moored at a dock it would get that discoloration, guess it depends on if they pulled it out of water often or not.

:popcorn

I agree with Ian the brine discolors to a rusty color like that on paint. People forget the ocean is still a huge source of free iron. Most iron deposits come from plants that converted the iron out of the ocean in prehistoric times - This also cause the Oxygen that we breath now to be formed at the same time. BTW this is what happens when your uncle is an Geologist :blush:

Thank you for that very thorough explanation . (y) I know there was plenty of stuff floating around the oceans during WW II for sure but I had no idea that it could look like rust.

I remember getting oil on me while doing scuba and it was near impossible to remove .

Maybe I should revisit the Clog and add more color to it. :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

I agree with Ian the brine discolors to a rusty color like that on paint. People forget the ocean is still a huge source of free iron. Most iron deposits come from plants that converted the iron out of the ocean in prehistoric times - This also cause the Oxygen that we breath now to be formed at the same time. BTW this is what happens when your uncle is an Geologist :blush:

I was wondering what happened to SADave. :blink :blink :pp

All good comments, folks. Good to get a bit of a discussion going, eh ??

Will be 'Coastguarding' this afternoon so won't be able to get any bench-time until this evening. Going to try to get the beaching gear weathered and attached, also add the aerial masts with fine brass wire.

More soon, and please keep the comments coming.

Ian.

...and done !!

h752090e.JPG

More pics in the 'Finished Builds' thread. Huge thank you for following-on and commenting, encouraging and generally keeping me going.

Ian.

Looks good. As for the brownish discoloration, well consider where it is used. If they are in a harbor you can get some pretty ugly pollutants floating around. Especially at a time when they did not care much. And any Also if it flys into an area to rescue anyone who was sunk there is a lot of bunker crude floating around. I think it adds a nice touch for a used a/c. Well done.
James

Looks good. As for the brownish discoloration, well consider where it is used. If they are in a harbor you can get some pretty ugly pollutants floating around. Especially at a time when they did not care much. And any Also if it flys into an area to rescue anyone who was sunk there is a lot of bunker crude floating around. I think it adds a nice touch for a used a/c. Well done.
James

Yep I can see it, we had a boat we kept out of water most of the time and I still had to wash and wax the bottom often. And that was just in our local lake/drainage ditch :rotf

Well done Ian :drinks

Very nice job on the Cat! (y) I'm kinda looking to do one up myself since I had a cousin who flew them during WWII with VP-53 in the South Pacific & earned the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for rescuing a USMC Corsair pilot from the lost Squadron VMF-422 (I believe it was)

Back