• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Catalina for my Dad

Sweet as Ian, loving this :notworthy

17C eh ? spring time brother, come to Sydney for a visit, we're looking at around 35C - beach weather in December :D

Laurence

Yep we've had a VERY wet spring so far. Not been in Kiwi too long but really noticing the differernce this year.

Back to the model. Because the evenings are stretching-out a wee bit, I've been able to do a little spraying, the hull should be done this evening. Photos will follow soon. Thanks for all the comments and encouragement always appreciated.

Ian.

...man this is so F R U S T R A T I N G :bang head - I really want to spend time on this project and 'enjoy' or more accurately, 'savour' it, but every time I sit down at the bench something from the 'real world' demands my attention.

Just posting this update took 45mins because of family interference. Ahhh well, here we go:

h5588152.jpg

h9f7e840.jpg

h00ecbd8.jpg

After the first two sessions of 'camo work' the hull looked like this. Two light coats each of Xtracolour EDSG and Dk. Slate Grey sprayed without any masking, (I think that's a first for me). Later I lightened both tones and went back again mottling each colour randomly and extending the pattern down to the hull line. The main painting on the hull is now done and I've moved on to the wings which I'm doing in exactly the same way.

But as mentioned at the start, there's just so many demands upon my time and attention this is easily the most 'stop/start' project I've ever undertaken.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, folks.

AFN

Ian.

Take your time Ian, no need to rush. :zen

:popcorn

I"m thinking it's looking great, very faded look.

Ian, I know how you feel about working on a stop/start projects. My last five were like that; not because of life interference, but because I had to stop and look for parts or look for paints or look for tools or clean something up that spilled. I swear I spent more time doing all of that than actually building or painting anything! At least it only happened with one project. Try having it happen on five at once and you'll be in my world.

Hang in there. Despite the interruptions, this is looking really remarkable. Keep up the great work.

Woooo Hoooo :yipee

Everybody here is invited to my place tomorrow evening my time for a celebratory BBQ.... I finished the camo painting this evening

h7e13196.jpg

hb135a3c.jpg

h4bfee00.jpg

Man, that was long winded. A simple three tone camouflage job like that should have taken around a week, it's taken me three weeks to get here... :eek:hmy: - OK, next I'll hand brush the Johnsons Kleer/Future to seal it all in then spray the de-icing boots. Hopefully (as I'm off on Wednesday), I can make some progress then.

AFN

Ian

ps
Bring your own booze tomorrow evening, the food will be ready around 1900 local.

Now when you say BBQ, you're talking about a roasted pig right or are you talking about grilling something?

Is that 1900 my local or your local cause if it's your local it happened like last week right? Y'alls time zone really messes with me.

But the Catalina is SWEET!!!! Why brush the Klear?

Outstanding job! Congrats on finally getting this done.

Don't forget to take pics of the BBQ for those of us who can't make it.

Now when you say BBQ, you're talking about a roasted pig right or are you talking about grilling something?

Is that 1900 my local or your local cause if it's your local it happened like last week right? Y'alls time zone really messes with me.

But the Catalina is SWEET!!!! Why brush the Klear?

Grillin' Bob... Chicken, Burgers, three or four types of Sausage and the best and biggest Pork Chops you ever saw... Strangely, considering we're living in the centre of 'cow country' here, steaks are really expensive and therefore best left to folks who can do them justice :blush:

Time zones... well we're twelve hours AHEAD of GMT here, which basically means we live in the future, and already have hover-cars and robot servants... s'true :v

Klear, ahhh, well you know I've tried spraying it three times in my modelling life and never once have I got it to work. Brush painting just works for me.
Thanks for the comments, bud.

Ian

Looking quite interesting . What is the real life colors used ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Standard Coastal Command camo in mid 1941 was Extra Dark Sea Grey & Dark Slate Grey disruptive pattern over Sky undersurfaces, so that's what I've gone with, using all Xtracolour enamels... Be interesting to see how it changes when it's weathered down and matted down.

Ian

Looking quite interesting . What is the real life colors used ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Standard Coastal Command camo in mid 1941 was Extra Dark Sea Grey & Dark Slate Grey disruptive pattern over Sky undersurfaces, so that's what I've gone with, using all Xtracolour enamels... Be interesting to see how it changes when it's weathered down and matted down.

Ian

Sorry Ian, I made it too complicated. I was thinking Aussie on NZ. paint scheme instead of a simple US aircraft in Coastal command marking :blush:

Looking interesting :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

It's a good question Christian, because both the Kiwis and the Aussies used elements of bot British and American colour schemes and combined them with locally produced colours and paints and essentially no two airframes (espacially the RAAF ones) looked the same... Australian & New Zealand PBY's are a fascinating research project in their own right.

If you're thinking of doing one, the decal sheet I'm using for this project has two RAAF options on it. You're welcome to them if you want.

Ian.

Back