• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Catalina for my Dad

ij001

Backstory:
I’ve mentioned previously that my first model was a FROG 1:72 DH Comet racer, it was a present from a friend on my 7th birthday. My dad built and painted the kit for me, having never built a plastic kit before in his life and I thought it was magnificent.

Strangely Dad was never really enthusiastic about my new hobby following that build, but now and again he would get a wee bit more excited, like when I bought my first (Airfix) P-38 – I’ve posted photos here before of my grandfather’s truck towing P-38’s through Liverpool in 1943 so I won’t bore you by repeating that tale. The only other aeroplane Dad got excited about was the Catalina.

Following the loss of HMS Hood in spring ’41 (and the subsequent sinking of the ‘culprit’ Bismarck), Catalina’s and Fairey Swordfish the types that had hunted-down and damaged Bismarck, were sent out on (what we would now call) PR visits to towns were the loss of the Hood was particularly felt. Hood had been berthed in Liverpool in May 1940 for rest & refit and many of her crew were billeted locally including in my Dads' street. My grandfather took my dad to see the Catalina that was moored somewhere in the Mersey and he was lucky enough to be taken aboard… He never forgot his experience.

Often when we went to local toy-shops he would try to get me to buy the Airfix or Revell Catalina kits, I always maintained that I’d build one for him ‘one day’. Dad died in January 1988 and I never did build him a Catalina.

It’s one of those things that crept across my mind occasionally when I was deciding what model to build next… “Hmmm, I really must do a Catalina one day, for dad…”. I was having that very thought last week as I was browsing eBay, and then…

…BAM !! – a trader in the UK that I’ve bought a lot of decals from, had Aeromaster 72-039 for sale, a Catalina sheet that included WQ*Z (AH545), the machine that first spotted the Bismarck on the 26th May.

I bought the sheet.

Next I need to find some good references (Squadron/Signal and or Detail & Scale books are my usual ‘go-to’ sources), then buy the appropriate Academy kit (pretty certain it was a PBY-5 not a 5A). After that all I need to do is build it; when I do it will be the only model on the bench and I’ll try to make my Dad proud…

Thanks folks, for taking the time to read this, I know it is long-winded but it’s a form of catharsis that I needed to go through and I appreciate your patience.

AFN

Ian

Really looking forward to this Ian, so when do we start?

And trust me, posting stuff with personal connections is never boring, give us a link about your Grandpappy's story. :popcorn

Haven't even bought a kit yet, Bob... but I have found a photo of the actual machine I'm going to build:

h1a520ab.jpg

hffb3f90.jpg

h8a76697.jpg

I'll try and buy a kit later this week, maybe at the weekend. More when the plastic is on the bench !!

AFN

Ian

Looking forward to this one Ian. Always loved the Catalina. I think builds that have a personal connection are the best ones (y)

Very nice project Ian , I will follow with a total interest and pleasure... :popcorn ... Go ahead friend :good:

Best!

luiz

Ian, I loved the story about your dad. It really hits home with me as I had a good friend back in the 80's that flew Catalinas and hunted subs off the US coast. Heard several stories about things that happened to him and always wanted to build a PBY-5 up for him. Sadly we fell out of contact and I found out he had passed away back in 2006.

:(

Will be watching your build with interest , and will be thinking and remembering.

This should be cool. Watching with great interest. And great to build something so personal (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :popcorn
James

Thanks for the support guys, as I've said before, it's always a massive boost knowing that folks here are 'behind me' when I dive in to another project.

...'course it's just my luck to finally get my sh*t together on this project only to find that the kit I need has been dropped from the Academy catalogue :facepalm - Stalking one on eBay in the UK, but if I don't get it, it may be a while before another comes-up !!

Ian

Go for it mate, 100% understand where you coming from.

One day I want to build the IAR 39 my grandad flew, I got the photos of him and his crew. I think that special projects with connections to family and friends are well worth it. Looks like we all think the same on this one.

(y)

Laurence

Overnight I won the kit and have paid for it already. Won't make a start until mid November after I've finished-off the Starfighter, Hurricane and another project for the Armistice Show here on the weekend of the 8th/9th.

When I do start it, it's going to have the bench to itself !!

Ian

Good News:
The kit arrived yesterday and it looks like a very straightforward and uncomplicated build.

Bad News:
Looks like my decals have gone astray between UK and here. This isn't disasterous as I can make the squadron codes from a generic Xtradecal sheet and the roundels I can get from generic Modeldecal sheets. Not too certain of the upper camouflage pattern, that may take some digging-out !!

Ian

It is, it's one that you Yank's absconded with from a British order :smack so it's painted in American equivalents and should match the scheme Ians looking for.

Excellent, never seen that pic before, thanks :drinks

There is a Corgi die-cast Catalina that seems to have 'nailed' the pattern, I know the colours are standard EDSG/DSG/Sky, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Ian

It is, it's one that you Yank's absconded with from a British order :smack so it's painted in American equivalents and should match the scheme Ians looking for.

Just who do you think you callin' Yank...

lilgeneral.png

:yipee :tomato

Sorry Ian, had to do it... :popcorn

That's fine 'Johnny', you keep jumping in to your car thru the window....

Really looking forward to starting this now.

Ian.

Back