• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Your battleground...

BigDog

Yo Guys,

One of the pics on Jeeves' post here (great post BTW!) gave me an idea (hope it's not been done already...) : how's about you show us what your workbench, kitchen table, or wherever it is you build your models at/on, looks like?!? ;) Post a pic of where you choose to do battle, so we can be judge of how they are won! :dude

I'm sorry not to start with the first post, but as we are moving into another house in the next week or so, I simply don't have a place to work at, at this moment in time! :(

"Be the first one on your block, to show us a bit of your shop!" - adaptation of a line borrowed from Country Joe & The Fish... maybe some of you will remember that big event that happened at Max Yasgur's property, some 41 odd years ago... :gogo

Cheers! B)
Fernao

I think there is a thread about modeling battlegrounds/caves somewhere here... I'll have a look....

nerd.gif

Found it...

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/Modelers-Lounge-/1861-Show-us-your-modelling-caves-workshops-etc-etc

Hey brother...

The link you posted is actually Adam's pics (which I also think are awesome!)...But if you do want to see my area it is on the next to last page of tanktrax's link. Always a great idea to see where we build...unfortunately for me living in northern NY, my man room in the garage is only about 20 degrees F so unless I turn on a space heater so I can spray paint, most winter modeling is done in the house on the kitchen counter...

...unfortunately for me living in northern NY, my man room in the garage is only about 20 degrees F so unless I turn on a space heater so I can spray paint, most winter modeling is done in the house on the kitchen counter...

Space heater, unless it is the useless oil type (of which I bought one), and plastic modeling chemicals usually don't mix. I have considered insulating the garage and getting a new insulated door but the wife says the expense is not justified (hey, who pays the bills?)... So I build in my photo studio (the laundry room).

Fernao, I await images of your work area. Hopefully on the beach and taken at a time when plenty of nice scenery is playing. Use the thread Moon Puppy bumped up for you.

Regards,

Well...

... guess I'm earning myself the title of King of Blunder...
Emoticon_drooldead.gif
Sorry for that Adam, I've been known to mix peoples names up. Really embarrassing... :blush: Thanks for the heads-up, Jeeves! :)

And about this subject here, lets keep it to Andy's Thread, right?! :dude

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Oh dear no...I have the oil type that heats up within the heater...nothing exposed. As long as I remember to close the door to the room, it warms up enough so I can spray paint...even then I am usually too nervous to leave it on unattended for too long so it is only on in short bursts...am kicking myself that I didn't put a more permanent heater in there when I was finishing off the room...

And about this subject here, lets keep it to Andy's Thread, right?

OK Fernao, you lost me again. Which Andy are you referring to? In this thread I only see Mike Reeves, Adam, John, Bob, you, and myself posting or mentioned.

Please post your battleground in the other thread as it is best for anyone as all of them will be in one place. I was one of the first to post and mine looks like a true battleground.

Regards,

Oh dear no...I have the oil type that heats up within the heater...nothing exposed. As long as I remember to close the door to the room, it warms up enough so I can spray paint...even then I am usually too nervous to leave it on unattended for too long so it is only on in short bursts

I don't want to jinx you brother, but I've had one for ever and leave it on alone all the time, in fact I have done so for maybe twelve years. It used to be in an unheated room my band practiced in on my dad's commercial property. The room was maybe 16 X 30 w/12' ceiling height. If we left it on high 24/7 it kept our equipment and the room at a decent temp.

When the band eventually broke up it was one of the things left behind that I became the owner of, I still use it today. Since my workspace is in an unfinished section of an addition I put on my house, it still doesn't have it's heat, other then what it gets from leaving the door open all the time. The bench sits on an outside wall and it can get chilly on the toes sometimes. I leave the heater on low 24/7, where it sits right under my bench to keep my feet and legs (as well as the bench surface) warm.

I know it isn't recommended for safety reasons and all but but it's not like it has those red hot exposed coils like those other styles, surely this thing is no more dangerous than my wood stove in the den.

100_3240.JPG

I too, have one of those oil heaters. They work best if the oil doesn't cool off completely, but I understand the hesitation at leaving it on all the time. I bought an electric quartz heater I used to use in my Iowa basement, that worked quite well an didn't stir the dust like the furnace. I model in one of the spare bedrooms now, quite comfortable, but now I face the Carpet Monster!!

Saúl said:
"... OK Fernao, you lost me again. Which Andy are you referring to? ..."
Guess we're talking about the same one, the one mentioned on tanktrax's post: this one. ;)

Very unfortunately for me, I live some 400 miles from the nearest beach... :( I was thinking about retiring and moving next to the Atlantic, but my life's been here at Foz for the past 30 years and I don't see the point in moving to a new town and leaving all my friends and acquaintances behind... :idonno Besides, we have many very cool and interesting things here where I live, which I'll gladly show you when you show up here for a visit! :dude

Cheers! B)
Fernao

:gogo

Had I bothered to see who started that thread so long ago, I would see Andy's name! It is the same one I responded to and, if you click on the photo of my 'battleground' it takes you there!

Regards,

That's good to know Ken...I usually bring all my paint into the house in the fall before the freeze hits and only go up there to spray since spraying in the house with a wood stove makes me a bit more nervous. My model room takes up half the upstairs garage and I guess I could keep it heated all the time. The other half is where the staircase is so it is open to the rest of the garage and much colder...I have my drum set and Crossbow up there...I hope to box that off somehow someday to keep it warmer...

Oh dear no...I have the oil type that heats up within the heater...nothing exposed. As long as I remember to close the door to the room, it warms up enough so I can spray paint...even then I am usually too nervous to leave it on unattended for too long so it is only on in short bursts

I don't want to jinx you brother, but I've had one for ever and leave it on alone all the time, in fact I have done so for maybe twelve years. It used to be in an unheated room my band practiced in on my dad's commercial property. The room was maybe 16 X 30 w/12' ceiling height. If we left it on high 24/7 it kept our equipment and the room at a decent temp.

When the band eventually broke up it was one of the things left behind that I became the owner of, I still use it today. Since my workspace is in an unfinished section of an addition I put on my house, it still doesn't have it's heat, other then what it gets from leaving the door open all the time. The bench sits on an outside wall and it can get chilly on the toes sometimes. I leave the heater on low 24/7, where it sits right under my bench to keep my feet and legs (as well as the bench surface) warm.

I know it isn't recommended for safety reasons and all but but it's not like it has those red hot exposed coils like those other styles, surely this thing is no more dangerous than my wood stove in the den.

100_3240.JPG

I got Gas....:mpup

No, gas heat.

Nope...just monster-sized house ;). It helps when your father-in-law gives you the 5 acres to build on...

Back