• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WSS MG Ammo Carrier (Watch Your Figure Campaign)

Skinny_Mike

Hey there folks!

Post_1_1~1.jpg

Well I've decided its time to resurrect this build. There are a couple of reasons behind this, first I am trying to clean off the shelf of doom, so I am trying to work a kit that has been started while I am working a new build. This is a good method for me, helps to curb the boredom that I sometimes feel when a build starts to drag on, and helps with me undiagnosed A.D.D.! :goo Secondly, I need to complete a figure for the Tankers Tangle build and I need the practice, plus I need the advice along the way. If you real, I really didn't get to far on this the first time through, here's the link: Skinny Mike's WSS figure

I basically had the figure assembled, primed and painted the white pants.

Post_2_4~0.jpg

I spent sometime this weekend working out the colors for the SS pattern Oak Leaf Jacket and started painting the heads. I'm going to use two different approaches and see which turns out the best and we will go from there. I'll post an update when I have something to show.

I do have a question that maybe someone out there can help me with. I am struggling to find the correct base color for the SS Autumn Oak Leaf Camo. Everything I have found online indicates that everyone uses Vallejo Model Color 825 Camo Pale Violet Brown. I tried a test shot of this color and it is well brown, but the base color in all the pictures I can find, look much more gray. Has anyone successfully figured out what the right base color is? Here is a photo of what I'm going for from the web site oakleakmilitaria.com.

hb705b33.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Mike

I do have a question that maybe someone out there can help me with. I am struggling to find the correct base color for the SS Autumn Oak Leaf Camo. Everything I have found online indicates that everyone uses Vallejo Model Color 825 Camo Pale Violet Brown. I tried a test shot of this color and it is well brown, but the base color in all the pictures I can find, look much more gray. Has anyone successfully figured out what the right base color is? Here is a photo of what I'm going for from the web site oakleakmilitaria.com.

hb705b33.jpg

Hey Mike,I love these Alpine figures,they are always a joy to paint!

! wouldn't worry too much about the "correct base color",these uniforms may look different from piece to piece due to fading by washing,sun light,different manufactors etcetera.
If the color looks okay to your eye...go for it!

BTW,did you know AK Interactive has paint sets for uniforms?
Maybe it's a good idea to use the following one:
AK3050.jpg

It's basicly every color you need to do this kind of smock.

Good luck,and looking forward to the next steps! :ro:

Gr,Ron.

I think that set will do the job ... I just ordered my 1st set of AK paints for naval birds ... can't wait to use them ... they are nice well worth the Bucks ... (y)

hb705b33.jpg

Hey Mike,I love these Alpine figures,they are always a joy to paint!

! wouldn't worry too much about the "correct base color",these uniforms may look different from piece to piece due to fading by washing,sun light,different manufactors etcetera.
If the color looks okay to your eye...go for it!

BTW,did you know AK Interactive has paint sets for uniforms?
Maybe it's a good idea to use the following one:
AK3050.jpg

It's basicly every color you need to do this kind of smock.

Good luck,and looking forward to the next steps! :ro:

Gr,Ron.

Thanks Ron, I'll look into this set. I had resigned myself to mixing the color, mostly for the reasons you had said, the base color isn't the same from one garment to the next.

There are all these new paints coming out I keep losing track of who makes what! Its a good time to be in the hobby! The AK stuff I currently have is very good, too bad the brain trust at AK have decided to go their separate ways. Of course now we have Ammo from Mig as well, a little healthy competition should be good for all of us!

Thanks for the help guys!
Mike

Hey everyone, I did a little paint mixing this week and found a combination I think comes close to the base gray/green/brown that I am going for. Need some other opinions.

hfe8e6ee.jpg

I think its a lot closer, probably could stand to be faded out just a bit more, but there would defiantly be some variation.

What do you all think?

Thanks for the help
Mike

Dear Mike.

...and I was missing this one :bang head ... great choice! :good: ... for me a litle light brown must be added :soldier

Best!

Luiz.

Small update here. The AK paint set arrived and I tried out a couple of the colors, but unfortunately none match the base of this camo. The oranges and browns should be ok though. I went back to the drawing board, mixed a few colors and came up with this:

hb6eda4f.jpg

I think I am a lot closer now then I was. What do you guys think?

Mike

Press on...:soldier

Really by the time you get other colors, washes can we really get an exact match on a color?

:popcorn

Press on...:soldier

Really by the time you get other colors, washes can we really get an exact match on a color?

:popcorn

Totally agree with you Pup, I think I am close enough, and when you account for sun fading and variations in inks and dyes... etc. etc. .....

Time to march along on this dude! :soldier

Now that I have the base color for my jacket figured out, its time to get moving on this dude. Short update today, but I did some work on the head with the uncovered helmet. In the end I plan to finish both heads and then I’ll use the one that looks the best.

First off the helmet was painted with Vallejo 70830 German Fieldgray. I wanted to give the helmet an effect of having been camouflaged white for the winter and which has chipped off after use. To achive this effect, I sprayed a layer of Ammo’s Scratches Effects. Once that had dried I followed with some Ammo Flat White. Once the white was dried, I used a brush dipped in some water to chip away the white layer. This was my first time using the Scratches Effects. I think it turned out pretty well and man was that easy! I also painted the scarf in Vallejo German Gray.

hd151181.jpg

What do you guys think?

Next step will be a filter on the helmet, some highlights on the neck gear and on to the face.

Thanks for looking! See you all soon.
Mike

Back