• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

When did it all change?

kryptosdaddy

Some may know here that I also collect comics, well not anymore but i have a nice collection of stuff that i love. At times i have taken some heat for openly speaking about them and my maybe 100 pounds of action figures, but screw 'em!

For those that don't know comics have 'dynasty's' we call them ages, Golden age, Silver age, modern age etc.

And I'm wondering if this applies to models as well- though I have been a long time builder, i have never been a collector of kits- and i don't intend to begin. not to say that in my years i haven't built collectors items nor do i not own any now, I do, I just have no desire to pick up every version of each Ju 88 in any scale. Not to say at some time I won't though! You know what i mean.

I started building sometime in the early 70's I think my first kit was a 1/72 scale German bomber, my Dad had NO interest in them, but my mother, a craft QUEEN, would let me build and then help me paint.
We built Aurora monsters and animals (I wasn't allowed to have the torture stuff) superheroes and maybe every tank and half the 1/48 planes monogram came out with then, and most were destroyed in the yard because we played with our models- to us they were cool toys...

Back then you could find anything and almost anywhere! Roses, K-mart, Eckerd Drugs, 7-11, nearly every store sold models of some kind. In the late 70's Florence SC, a small city began getting specialty stores that broadened our selection of kits, but it was still the same thing, the Huge car and motorcycle kits, NASA stuff, the sparse sci-fi, those great Aurora kits, monsters. Seemed like everything we ever needed was right there and stuff was cheap!

We used to organize trips to Sumter, about 45 minutes away to pick up the rare Japanese stuff and it was there that i was introduced to Tamiya and later Hasegawa and really that was a nice change from all the monogram, Revel and AMT kits we were punishing back then- today i still find old kits in new boxes and these are cheap, unlike comics where the older stuff can be near priceless.

I'm glad to see the hobby expand into what it is today, there are maybe as many acessories available to us now as there are things for fishermen! but I still miss the days when i could walk into a grocery store and pick up a gallon of milk and a Corsair. CR

Photo0006.jpg

Yeah this is half of it- old pic, but you get the idea.

I remember well walking into a Roses department store and cruising the model selection. I think there is still a Roses in Aiken, one up in Fletcher NC and I saw one on my road trip to Salisbury Maryland thought I'm not sure where exactly I was. Wonder if they carry plastic now?

When I went into hiatus after getting married (and not having any place to work with fumes and all) I had just bought my first kit that had PE in it, a DML ME 163. It sat there for about 15 years when a trip with the inlaws prompted me to pickup a copy of FSM to read, I was amazed. By this time we had moved and I had a detached garage with heat, air, old gas station compressor and a fridge, all a man needs to hunker down! I finally built that ME 163, didn't turn out too bad if you don't look at the colors used..

So I guess it was early 90s when it started changing, of course this was before internets and I wasn't buying modeling magazines to learn new stuff, I was pretty stagnated in how I built.

I do think we're in a definite high point in our quirky little hobby.

PE still kicks my butt- i put a 30 buck squadron gun and avionics set into my Hasegawa 1/48 F-14 and it nearly killed me! That jet was bought in 91 for $45.00. Still unfinished...

f-14_top.JPG

But closer! Green spot is where squadron green ate the plastic when I tried to fill the landing gear wells for closing- STUPIDIO!

blast from the past!
http://www.collectair.com/plastickits.html

and comics...
http://www.collectair.com/tailspin.html

I started in the mid 60's buying Airfix and Revel 1/72 aircraft, some even in clear plastic bags with the cardboard label on the top, or in the classic old boxes, and yes they were in lots of shops too.

Pe, conversion sets, resin after market parts - unheard of!!

Any additions were of your own imagination, I think I fitted some wires or the like to some kits, must of caught AMS early on.

I'm not sure if I can remember any Japanese kits at that time or after, just the Airfix Revel Frog and some that the memory has long forgotten.

Advance 30 odd years in life until getting interested in this hobby again.

Today's choices are nothing short of amazing, add in AM things and all the rest gives us some staggering results compared to those early build & paint and that's it kits.

When did it change? When video games got popular. Hobbies aren't exciting enough for kids and adults seem to be hooked too. I'm glad there seems to be a "golden age" of AM enhancement products, so we have that going for us.

i think that video games pretty much killed off/removed a large cestion of builder. my kid would rather spen 10 hours gaming than 10 minutes building. i tried without success to get him to build, & to his credit he did build a few Star Wards type models.

Hey Bob, I worked for the Roses here and twon back in the day. My "Claim to Hollywood Fame" was that former Charlie's Angels star, Jacklyn Smith, got her clothing line start with Roses Chainsotres. She not only visited every store, but she had lunch on a Saturday with the store manger and two employees. they drew names for one of those, and I won!!!! A 16yr old kid beside jacklyn Smith circa 1980 kept me awake for several nights!

KRYPTO ,

I too was a Comic collector way back in th Day ( 80's ) & I still have all of them. Not nearly th collection that you have. Mine all fit in One big Copy Paper Box. Still some Quality Stuff - Star Wars ( Complete set up to ESB) , Marvel Universe/ Dead & Inactive ( both Complete sets), Marvel Secret Wars ( Complete), X-Men ( Mid 80's) , Wolverine ( Frank Miller series), The Thing ... & I think I picked up some off shoots from th Secret Wars that carried over to the regular series' - Spider Man/Venom series.

I also got into building Models @ a young age. I started out on th AMT/ERTL Corvettes & I think I must've build Every 'Vette on th Market ( I think I was 5 or 6 = '76 or '77) ..... Then .... I went into a local Hobbystore , after They had moved locations, And saw My 1st. Tamiya Tank .... I got one ( M48 Patton) & haven't looked back ! That was around '83 ! After High School & a Failed attempt to become a "Rock Star" ( You can't get discovered in Richmond,V.A. ) I got back into Armor building & that was just as Dragon was getting popular & They were including P.E. in Their kits ( Mid Early 90's ?) & I had to call back to th Hobby Shop & ask them what is this Brass stuff & Why won't Plastruct Glue attach it to th kit? :blink :blush: :pinch: ... I think Their Kugel Blitz kit was My first Baptismal into Kit supplied P.E. & Dragon ! Fast Forward to Today :woohoo:

I think now is the Golden Age for Model building. Everything, every Genere has been touched by th AM Bug ! That Coupled with the Flood of WW II research that has surfaced & It's a High Time for Armor Builders !!

With th Kids .... It's th Instant Gratification Generation. Also Generation XL - referring to th Size of Their clothes ( Chubby Kids). Video Games are Cool Don't Get Me wrong. A Couple of years ago I was Way into playing Call of Duty online. But I still would Build Models. ..... It almost seems like Kids are too Impatient now. Too much Instant Gratification - Internet, Cell Phones etc. ......

Yeah Model Building has turned into a Hard Hobby for Soft Men :huh: :woohoo: :laugh: , but the Women that have picked up th Hobby are still Lean & Mean ! :D

Oh ..... Jackie Smith was a Hottie ..... But I had Posters of Heather Thomas, Paulina Porizkova , Samantha Fox !!

i collected X-Men during and after the Byrne era and Batman! And a WHOLE lot of other stuff- I made the mistake of going into business with a friend in mid '89 and our collections were picked clean, then we went out of business. I lost my ass, my partner didn't because his Dad was backing him up. Live and learn. To him it's still my fault. I have replaced some things, but the scope of that collection cannot be measured today! its gone- and i have tried to replace some things....

Live and learn and never again.

Here is a nice site that offers free public domain books online. You can read these with 7-zip (free) or Comical, also free. kinda an open and read thing.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

check this out- TONS of old golden age comics here! Got a problem reading anything send me a PM, I'll help you out.

Yup those old memories are great and I often think back on them while modeling. We had one particular toy shop in our neighborhood called "Livingstones" and the number of 1/72 Airfix kits in the clear plastic bags with the instructions stapled to the top, that I bought would sink an aircraft carrier! They all eventually became victims of Geoff's deadly pellet gun ack ack, but it's incredible how clearly I remember building and painting some of them.

A good illustration of the change is when my brother came to visit from Australia 2 years back and he walked into my hobby room and his jaw literally dropped open. He and I built as kids and we probably built our last kit together 40 years ago and he has never been back, so when he visited me, it was his first encounter with the hobby in all that time. To say he was flabbergasted would be an under statement. For the first 4 hours of his entering the house he did not even greet the family, he sat spellbound by everything and at the age of 55, he looked like a little kid again drooling over the selection on offer at Livingstones struggeling to decide where the money should go.

Geoff

So Geoff, did Brother get hooked again? That's basically what happened to me when I looked through that FSM 5 years ago.

Back