• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What next

paddy

Most of you will know i have been struggling with my builds of late. I dont get a lot of satisfaction from Building OTB.
I usually try and add something with after market , in the past i used to enjoy the Aires resin engine kits in 1.48 but i kinda feel i have done that now

_DSC0002.jpg

_DSC0009.jpg

3D print is ok but its just and extension of OTB now. often better than what was in the box in the first place. Soon kits like the new P47 with engine from mini art will be the norm and the new OTB.
I think it could spoil the hobby. Its rather like digital photography, i used to really enjoy getting "that" picture at an airshow or at a motor race, now with digital the skill has gone and anyone with a phone under 10 years old is a professional photographer. However bad the picture, Adobe will fix it :)

The models above are all Hasegawa and Aires combo's, infinitely more of an achievement than any miniart P47 as anyone who has built anything resin will know :)

So what next for me ?
Well in order to scratch build i need to be at 1/12 scale for cars/ motorcycles etc., This is a scale i can work will with my fat fingers and aging eye sight. its a scale that my limits of about 0.5mm in drilling and stock dia will work with.
I have been looking at micro lathes , its odd to think the last lathe i used was a 4 axis CNC machine which i think we paid £75k for, now i am looking at a £500 micro lathe which doesnt even have screw cutting :) At the moment i cant get any spec on these micro jobs like how true the chuck is which is a pretty basic requirement.

I have recently revisited wheel building :) 1/ 9 that is, replacing 1mm dia plastic spokes with 0.4mm metal and while laborious its also great fun with a sense of achievement and just happens to add a tone of realism to the model as well.
_DSC9737.JPG

The temptation now is to go up a level and have another attempt at a Italeri vintage race car and add metal spokes.
Maybe break open the Meng (Ayrton Senna) Maclaren i bought and see what could be done with that ? (probably not spoked wheels though) :cool:

Anyone else find themselves looking for a new direction ?

EEEK! Sum ov yer ayerplanes is haff NEKKID!! :lol:

All of your models here have a common theme. Precise detail.
It is clear that your passion is for improving whatever kit you build to enhance it's realism. (Yeah, like you could turn the ignition key and fire it up!)

Have you ever had any interest in a Tank model? There is usually plenty of "canvas" for a meticulous modeler such as yourself to improve on many armor subjects. Take a flight of fancy and pick your favorite fantasy or movie figure, maybe?

Your limited model space says "No" to a 1/200 scale IJN Yamato battleship model to me.

OH!! A 1/35 Steam locomotive!! That's the ticket! A 1941 Big Boy!! Derail your skill set, just a bit!

I love creating things. Mostly, nautical subjects of narrow appeal. Odd business plan for a guy with a $600.00/year website to pay for.
The research, the precise measuring, shaping the shapes into an accurate whole, just does it for me. Like all y'all couldn't tell.

My musings.

Back