• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What is this?

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
1689642198227.png

This is from a GIF, I've tried to find the video it's from, I know I've seen it time and time again.
Yeah I know it's an SDB, what is that thing that looks like an antenna back on the spine behind the gunner? I'll try and find the video it's from also.

Can only guess but its in the position of the tracking light so poss just an extended light mount for better visibility ??

SBD-Cutaway.jpg

Pretty sure that footage is from the Battle of Midway, possibly John Ford's movie. It almost looks like part of a Yagi radar but that's underneath the wing so can't be that. I'll look through my books...

Yeah that's the whip antenna you're seeing...aft of the doors that hide away the rear guns. It's more evident at 9:32 of that video as it moves...

Yagi antennas were under the wing from what I'm seeing but the mast for it does look the same. was there a 3rd antenna on the spine?

I got one, but sure would like to know what that is. This is the only image I can find with that thing on the spine.

Whoa...Terry that's the same aircraft. B-11 and that white stripe on the stab.
Now I wonder if it's an one off installation of something.
A "Don't' shoot the rudder" reminder? :lol:

Last edited:
My first thought was a dont shoot ya rudder but its to short, it would deflect bullets for about half the rudder height but as its a twin gun would just shoot either side of it

Having looked again i found several pics with a whip aerial in that position and as its directly above the radio set I'm going with an aerial.:)

Wow, been quite busy. It does seem to be an indicator that the guns are safe. Now, I need to look in my library to back that thought up!

EDIT - First photo seems to have guns armed so... nevermind!

Regards,

Back