• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What do y'all make of this? Paint problem...

Hippy Ed

Went to use my flat Black yesterday... This is what I found
Testors acryllic
h9980e9a.JPG

he4c9b4e.JPG

Testors Enamels

h90849cc.JPG

h27a8f84.JPG

Both are fairly new. 1 I bought a Wally-world, the other from TX like 3 months ago...

Looks like the wrong thinner got in there. Time for a new bottle.

Yeah, I gess they're FUBAR. I never put thinned paint back into the jar. This is the 1st time I've had paints do this. I've had them turn to a glob of gel before but, this is ridiculous!!

1st pics are of the Acrylic paint. I pull the "stringy stuff" out & it's usable for a bit but, acts like it's drying up on me. The enamel just real grainy & can't really use it.

I'l go ahead & toss 'em & try to replace them when I can Thanks :drinks

I daresay you might try a different brand of paint.

Even the cheap acrylic craft paint they sell at Wal-Mart would perform better than this.

Tom

I daresay you might try a different brand of paint.

Even the cheap acrylic craft paint they sell at Wal-Mart would perform better than this.

Tom

Next time I git out to Wally world, I'll check out what they got... :hmmm

I've had that happen with brand-new bottles of acrylic paint, too. I don't know if being bottled makes a difference. Perhaps, glass is more temperature sensitive than plastic. Who knows where its been or for how long before you purchase it at the store.
I've had great success with Vallejo acrylic paints, which come in plastic bottles. They produce 218 different colors, specially formulated to adhere to plastic models. And, no, I'm not a rep for the company. I stick with what works. Many hobby shops carry it.

I've had that happen with brand-new bottles of acrylic paint, too. I don't know if being bottled makes a difference. Perhaps, glass is more temperature sensitive than plastic. Who knows where its been or for how long before you purchase it at the store.
I've had great success with Vallejo acrylic paints, which come in plastic bottles. They produce 218 different colors, specially formulated to adhere to plastic models. And, no, I'm not a rep for the company. I stick with what works. Many hobby shops carry it.

Good point. No telling how long it sat at the store, warehouse or even the temps stored at. I've heard of Vallejo paints but, never tried them yet. Don't really have a hobby shop around here any more. Maybe I'll get to Modesto sometime & see about the hobby shop there...

I have been in manufacturing procurement for about 20 years, about half of that in chemicals, and glass very definitely makes a difference in that it is indeed more temperature sensitive (also drop sensitive & more light sensitive). Plastic has it's places, but has other issues as well (static buildup during filling process, lining chems used in manufacture can remain and leech into paint, etc.)

I also note that Vallejo even has a rack in my local Hobby Lobby, and you can get a coupon to offset the cost

I have been in manufacturing procurement for about 20 years, about half of that in chemicals, and glass very definitely makes a difference in that it is indeed more temperature sensitive (also drop sensitive & more light sensitive). Plastic has it's places, but has other issues as well (static buildup during filling process, lining chems used in manufacture can remain and leech into paint, etc.)

I also note that Vallejo even has a rack in my local Hobby Lobby, and you can get a coupon to offset the cost

:hmmm Very interesting. Hadn't thot about the difference between glass vs plastic. I do know that there's a difference between colored vs. clear glass

As some of you know, I recently returned to the hobby after a five-year leave of absence. And, as astonishing as it may seem, the same Vallejo acrylic paint I was using then is still going strong. No adverse effects at all. It's been stored in a large plastic container in two different unconditioned basements in the Great Midwest, which experiences temperatures that range from extremely cold to extremely hot.

Do you want Me to send You another bottle looks like the lid was loose on the Testors, I just got it in from Squadron.

Do you want Me to send You another bottle looks like the lid was loose on the Testors, I just got it in from Squadron.

If it's no problem for ya Gerry. Thanks. (y) Which bottle ya talkin' about? Both are Testors!! 1st is Acrylic 2nd is Enamel :smack

As some of you know, I recently returned to the hobby after a five-year leave of absence. And, as astonishing as it may seem, the same Vallejo acrylic paint I was using then is still going strong. No adverse effects at all. It's been stored in a large plastic container in two different unconditioned basements in the Great Midwest, which experiences temperatures that range from extremely cold to extremely hot.

B) May have to try them some time (y)

I don't know I have more as I had to order 6 to get you one, might be from traveling by air, between TEXAS & Calif. The ones I have are enamel I think

Back