• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WALKING TANK-"ALL DONE"UPDATE

Re:WALKING TANK-GOT BRASS-UPDATE 3-26-10

Thanks alot Bob!! Let me get the other three legs built first.

Terry B)

Re:WALKING TANK-INSTALLING THE PLUMBING- 4-22-10

Well I got off the track for a couple of weeks, but now I'm back. I have been working on the plumbing of the legs. Attached are some pictures of what the leg plumbing will look like. Keep watching because the "WALKING TANK IS COMING".

Terry B)

DSC03501.jpg

DSC03502.jpg

DSC03503.jpg

B)

Re:WALKING TANK-INSTALLING THE PLUMBING-4-22-10

Oooh look at all that (unarmored?) plumbing! Well done so far.

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
Oooh look at all that (unarmored?) plumbing! Well done so far.

Regards,

Yeah, but it is an American walker "make it fast and make alot" so if a leg gets shot off just put on another. :laugh:

Terry B)

Actually, I can see the Crab working with one less leg! ;)

Regards,

ozelot wrote:
WOw I like it - just an insane build

guenther

Thanks Guenther!! Got to go crazy sometimes :gogo

Terry B)

Terry,
Looks great, Love the Plumbing...
Looks like you have got everything but the kitchen sink :silly: :blink
My bunker is waiting to blow off those legs once you get them on, and
teach it to walk... :lol:
I might have to start working on some of my other nasty little surprises
just for your walker... American made huh, Hope you don't have any Union
stikes. :evil:
I'll be watching your build closely. Wow, is all I can say so far.
Shawn

No strikes during war time.

Terry B)

Great work going there MrT (Terry)

Love every bit of the work on your "Walker" and don't mind Shawn's "Bunkers", they didn't work in Libya in 1942
or in France in 1944 for that mater* We just walked around them! :laugh:

In the North African Theatre the Brits and the Commonwealth tank units, just chalked them up!
I have a photo of the hilarious ways the knocked out bunkers were painted on the hulls of the "Walkers".

They were referred to as "Stuffed Olives", Imagine a drawing of a stuffed olive with red peppers, and
a toothpick running through it. At least that's what the bunker looks like from afar, with that large bore barrel.

On my Tobruk Walker, I'll have about 3 olives painted on the hull, I'll send you the stencil so you can put on some
field markings of your achievements.

Oh yes Shawn, bring it on, like Terry says there are "No strikes during war time"

By the way Shawn you may want to mount those "stuffed olives" on a rail so they can roll away when we call in an air strike! :woohoo:

Model on Terry ;)

*(remember this is an alternate history)

MrT do you sleep? Great work there!

Can't wait to read the after battle report. :laugh:

Lost Legionar wrote:

Love every bit of the work on your "Walker" and don't mind Shawn's "Bunkers", they didn't work in Libya in 1942

In the North African Theatre the Brits and the Commonwealth tank units, just chalked them up!
I have a photo of the hilarious ways the knocked out bunkers were painted on the hulls of the "Walkers".

They were referred to as "Stuffed Olives", Imagine a drawing of a stuffed olive with red peppers, and
a toothpick running through it. At least that's what the bunker looks like from afar, with that large bore barrel.

On my Tobruk Walker, I'll have about 3 olives painted on the hull, I'll send you the stencil so you can put on some

Oh yes Shawn, bring it on, like Terry says there are "No strikes during war time"

By the way Shawn you may want to mount those "stuffed olives" on a rail so they can roll away when we call in an air strike! :woohoo:

Model on Terry ;)

I will have to take your name sake to heart... I'll look for the circling Buzzards
to find what is left of your "Lost Walker" too... :laugh: :lol:

If you think that I'm afraid of wingy-thingys (you must be at the wrong site). :lol:
(y) (y)
Since you mentioned the "Alternate History" you will understand that air assets will
not play any role in this new warfare, Tanks (walkers) and Land assets are what rule
the day. The Lasers sliced and diced them long ago, so "No Worries" there.
My Bunkers long ago took out most of what they tried to call and "Air Farce" with
rounds that put out a wall of steel rods that planes would fly into... Swiss cheese
aircraft tend to fall out of the sky... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Pilots with lots of steel rods sticking out of them tend to look like Porcupines
and don't fly too well either. :angle
(Sorry Gary and you other non believers) Tanks Rule.. :idonno :ro: :ro: :ro:
I'm sorry Jenny, I know off to the Naughty Corner (Again)... :blush: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:
I just can't help myself. :D
Terry, Crazy looking legs, but I like it... I saw one of Migs' Walker tank kits at
the Seattle show. Sweet, A little too expensive for me to buy to tear up so I could
show you how my nasty little toys work though... I will try and find some time to
work on the other little friends I have in store for our creepy crawlers, between
the USMC and other builds I'm working on...

Vegetarian - Eskimo for poor hunter.

Since I'm the "Anti-Vegetarian" I don't do olives. Not even in a Martini...
I guess I'm going to have to make some kill markings for the bunkers and
engineers vehicles. :woohoo: maybe spiders or crabs... :S :blink ;)

Shawn

Lost Legionar wrote:

Model on Terry ;)

Thanks for the comments!! I like the olive idea. I think I will put my olives inside a martini glass. Alternate history is a pleasent diversion.

Terry B)

Sherman 18 wrote:
MrT do you sleep? Great work there!

Can't wait to read the after battle report. :laugh:

Yeah I sleep I'm just a type A modeler.

Terry B)

shawngehling wrote:
Lost Legionar wrote:

Model on Terry ;)

I will have to take your name sake to heart... I'll look for the circling Buzzards
to find what is left of your "Lost Walker" too... :laugh: :lol:

If you think that I'm afraid of wingy-thingys (you must be at the wrong site). :lol:
(y) (y)
Since you mentioned the "Alternate History" you will understand that air assets will
not play any role in this new warfare, Tanks (walkers) and Land assets are what rule
the day. The Lasers sliced and diced them long ago, so "No Worries" there.
My Bunkers long ago took out most of what they tried to call and "Air Farce" with
rounds that put out a wall of steel rods that planes would fly into... Swiss cheese
aircraft tend to fall out of the sky... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Pilots with lots of steel rods sticking out of them tend to look like Porcupines
and don't fly too well either. :angle
(Sorry Gary and you other non believers) Tanks Rule.. :idonno :ro: :ro: :ro:
I'm sorry Jenny, I know off to the Naughty Corner (Again)... :blush: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:
I just can't help myself. :D
Terry, Crazy looking legs, but I like it... I saw one of Migs' Walker tank kits at
the Seattle show. Sweet, A little too expensive for me to buy to tear up so I could
show you how my nasty little toys work though... I will try and find some time to
work on the other little friends I have in store for our creepy crawlers, between
the USMC and other builds I'm working on...

Vegetarian - Eskimo for poor hunter.

Since I'm the "Anti-Vegetarian" I don't do olives. Not even in a Martini...
I guess I'm going to have to make some kill markings for the bunkers and
engineers vehicles. :woohoo: maybe spiders or crabs... :S :blink ;)

Shawn

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :laugh:

Terry B)

MrT wrote:
No strikes during war time.

Terry B)

Glasgow: Rolls Royce Hillington women workers equal pay
Many thousands of women were recruited to wartime industry. In 1940, the engineering federation agreed that women would receive equal pay after 32 weeks in post. 20,000 women were employed at the Rolls Royce Hillington site in Glasgow. Rolls Royce evaded the 1940 equal pay formula and were challenged by the AEU in 1943. They settled. But 16,000 women (and some men) refused to accept the deal and walked out for over a week. They won a new agreement which specified every machine in the factory, the work done on it, and the rate for the job, regardless of who was operating the equipment.

Miners pay
In 1944 underground miners were earning £5 per day and their wage tribunal refused to raise piece rates. When the Government announced that the national average industrial manual wage had reached £6 10s, miners came out on unofficial strike in South Wales, Kent, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Durham, and Scotland - some 220,000 in South Wales and Yorkshire alone. With the invasion of France looming, the press attacked the miners.

A South Wales miner of 30 years standing commented “... The argument that a strike would let our soldiers down was countered by men who had brothers and sons in the forces who, so they claimed, had urged them to fight and maintain their customs or privileges. They argued that they must retain something for those absent ones to come back to, while the suggestion that we should wait for further negotiations was swamped by the reply that we had already waited a long while...”

In fact the Government was compelled to intervene, restored differentials, and the miners won the highest minimum wage in Britain. Their average earnings ranked 81st in 1938, but rose to 14th after the strikes.

Kent: Betteshanger Colliery bonus payments
On 10 July 1940 the government introduced Defence Regulation 58AA allowing the Minister of Labour to ban strikes and lockouts, and force compulsory arbitration. Order 1305 then allowed the Minister to refer any dispute to existing arbitration structures or the National Arbitration Tribunal - either alternative was to be binding. But as the Chief Industrial Commissioner recognised “The Order has a substantial deterrent effect but it is an instrument which would probably be shown to be useless if any considerable body of workpeople chose to defy it.” He was right.

On 9 January 1942 miners at Betteshanger Colliery in Kent struck over the level of allowances for working difficult seams. The Ministry of Labour decided to prosecute 1,050 miners for contravening Order 1305. Three local union officials were imprisoned, the men working difficult seams were fined £3 each, and 1,000 other miners were fined £1 each. Betteshanger continued their strike and other pits came out in sympathy. On 28 January they won, and in February the Home Secretary dropped the prison sentences. By May, only 9 miners had paid their fines. Most fines were never paid.

Tyneside: closed shop
On Tyneside at the beginning of 1943 workers at the Neptune ship repair yard came out for six weeks over the refusal of five men at their firm to join the Amalgamated Engineering Union. They received massive support from workers in other firms and trades, and forced their employers to concede a ‘closed shop’ agreement, setting a national precedent.

London: aircraft engineers
Workers at the former Chrysler factory converted to make Halifax bomber tail fins were subject to Essential Works Orders banning all industrial action. In 1943 they challenged management policy of locking the gates at 8:30 for the morning by threatening to turn up en masse at 8:31. Management threatened to use the Order, but then capitulated.

The workforce went on to challenge management attempts to control union representation on the works committee, and after winning that forced an increase in the minimum wage for maintenance workers.

Many of the women workers had partners in the Forces. One commented: “If I don’t fight for conditions and wages or let them get worse, my husband will kill me when he comes home”.

Engineering Apprentices: pay
The first major wartime dispute took place in 1941. It involved engineering apprentices, first on Clydeside and then in Coventry, Lancashire and London.

An Apprentices’ Charter, developed by the Clyde strike committee in 1937, called for higher pay, district-wide age-wage minimum pay scales, a right to part-time technical education on day release, a reasonable proportion of apprentices to journeymen, and a right to union representation. An Engineers’ Charter had been put forward by the AEU in 1929 in pursuit of improved terms and conditions in the industry.

The unions had previously submitted a succession of claims to the Engineering Employers Federation without success. Now the apprentices marched from factory to factory bringing out their workmates. In Coventry they included women at the local munitions factory in the campaign. The strike wave finally destroyed the log-jam in national negotiations. In weeks, agreement was reached on higher age-wage scale rates.

As the war progressed, the number of strikes skyrocketed to reach a record 2,194 stoppages with 3,700,000 days lost in 1944. Of course not all such strikes ended in victory - but neither do all strikes in peacetime.

During the Spring of 1943, soldiers serving in the 8th Army responded to pressure to denounce strikes back home. The 8th Army News ran an article headlined “The Right to Strike is one of the Freedoms we fight for”.

source: Labour Net UK

This is an american made machine. Railroad workers tried to go on strike and government federalized the railroads froze wages and the trains continued to run.

Terry B)

Hello Terry,

I finally found the image hidden in my hard drive. :eek:hmy:

Look at how proud the Tanker is of the markings.
This image has the marks particularly on the turret, but there
are records of the markings painted on the sides of the hull also.

I hope you like it. I took the liberty of drawing a pretty close rendering of
how the kills were painted, at the bottom.

Although there is some mention of the marks without the black outlines.
It all depended on the artist in the division.

chalkingup.jpg

But you get the idea...

I'm still looking for that last name of the author of the reference book
"Walkers of the Desert" printed by Osprey 2,
When I find it I'll let you know...

Oh by the way I "Googled" Olive bunkers, Stuffed olives, etc. and all I got were photos
of the boxes in the background (out of focus) abandoned or spewing smoke from there
interiors or empty and torn open, I can't even find a reference book or diagram of them.

I guess they didn't have an impact on the out come of the war.
BUT... if you build one it has to be on speculation alone :silly:

Back