• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vallejo Primer

Try it now Erik.

James, this is an acrylic primer, how would it work with lacquer based paints?

Certainly looks good James ! :)

Did you try it with a brush ?

Id be interested to know how it compares to Tamiya or Mr Hobby, especially on figures

Id be interested to know how it compares to Tamiya or Mr Hobby, especially on figures
I airbrushed it as that gives a finish comparable to a rattle can. I'm not sure if I will ever brush, but you never know. As for finish I would say it looks the same when dry. The biggest selling point in my eyes is lack of fumes, and next would be the 60ml should last a long time. It also has a dropper top like the smaller bottles so squirting it into the paint cup was easy and hassle free. I'll try and use a spare arm or something and brush it, let you know how it goes Andy. Then maybe I can do the enamel test. I cant do anything with alclad in case anyone asks because I seem to have developed a reaction to it.
James

I was looking at the Vallejo site and in downloads they have a lot of info of good use. So here is the link.
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/downloads.html
James

I airbrushed it as that gives a finish comparable to a rattle can. I'm not sure if I will ever brush, but you never know. As for finish I would say it looks the same when dry. The biggest selling point in my eyes is lack of fumes, and next would be the 60ml should last a long time. It also has a dropper top like the smaller bottles so squirting it into the paint cup was easy and hassle free. I'll try and use a spare arm or something and brush it, let you know how it goes Andy. Then maybe I can do the enamel test. I cant do anything with alclad in case anyone asks because I seem to have developed a reaction to it.
James

That's an Awesome Selling point. I just primed parts of My Sd.Kfz 7/1 Flak-vierling with Griffon's Royal Edition P.E. set ( yes It will be posted here) I bet there's no less that 1000 pieces of brass in that set ! Any way ... Th Tamiya Primer is Obnoxious. I'm glad you could shoot this right out of your Airbrush !! & It cleans up with Rubbing Alcohol ! I' gotta get me some of this !

Thanx for th Review JAMES ! I think I'm slowly becoming a Vallejo convert ! I haven't tried Their Air paint yet ... but gimme time !

ERIK

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Brushed a single coat obver a painted figure and in the afternoon a coat of dark yellow enamel over it. Seems okay to me and bagge and Ken both like it also.
James

Oh and the place I bought it from gives 10% off to US serving or retired military.

I've never really noticed the fumes from the Tamiya Extra-Fine Primer. Mind you, I normally spray with the garage door open.

Does the AV Primer come in a rattle can?

Andy: I've heard good things about the Games Workshop Primers for figures as well.

Hey Rudi,

Ive actually just used the GW Black primer on my 7/1 and it covered really well the wheels and tracks and under belly of the vehicle, the upper part was in Tamiya grey,... Ive not tried on a figure yet >>>>> gulp !!!

Okay here we are.
1 layer brush painted over a cammed figure
1 layer German yellow Testers Enamel thinned for airbrush, hand brushed on bottom of coat.

vtest1_1_20101214_1664738908.jpg

Seems to work well. Would do maybe 2 coats of primer. 1 coat sprayed on is much nicer though.

I have an email in to Vallejo asking about hottewr paints effects on the primer. We'll see if they answer my question.

James

Okay I got word back from Vallejo. They believe you can spray alclad over the primer with no ill effects. It hasnt been tested yet though and they suggest trialing it before use.
James

I'm resurrecting this thread as I've just watched the following video. I'd used the primer a few years ago and was disappointed that it simply tore away when sanded. Now I know that after 24 hors it dries rock-solid and can be sanded. If you're in a hurry, spray on two thin coats of Future- just where you need to sand- wait 15 minutes and you're good to go! I'll be priming my IAR with it when the time arrives.

Have been using the Vallejo Primers for some time now, grey black and white. Very easy to use, AB is very happy with it, only doing very small parts with the brush and still works out nicely (y)

Back