• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vallejo Model Color in Australia?

Deano13

Arvo all, just a quick couple of questions on this paint. Firstly who has it to sell here? Is it any good? Is it easy to use? As I normally use Humbrol or Tamiya paints I am reluctant to try something new. In issue #48 MMiR. Mike Rinaldi used Vallejo Model Color #982 Cavalry Brown for his primer red when he did his Heuschrecke IVb. I normally use Tamiya hull red for my interiors. I liked the color on his model and thought I would like to give it a go. Hence my queries. Is it easy to airbrush and what do I thin it with? If anyone can help me with this I would be extremely grateful. Like all modellers, I want it yesterday and it has to be good. Thanks for your time. Dean :)

Hi Dean,

If I recall correctly, Frontline Hobbies in Newcastle and Stanbridges in Perth list them. I usually get mine online from Lucky Model in HK. As much as I'd like to support our LHS's Vallejo paints are hard to come by "on the shelf" in Aus. Even shipped by airmail from HK, they're cheaper than can be found locally.

The Model Color range are quite thick in the jar and need to be thinned for brush painting and considerably moreso for airbrushing. I haven't used Vallejo's proprietary thinner and usually thin mine with distilled water. Do not use alcohol or Tamiya acrylic thinner as the paint will clump and take on the consitency of chunky custard (and naturally, will clog your airbrush). They don't necessarily like to adhere well to bare styrene and I usually use a primer coat of a suitable colour Tamiya flat acrylic first.

The Australain distriutor is loacted right here in Adelaide and he is my local LMS.

If you give Andrew at Military Hobbies a call on 08 8346 1312 he might be able to give you a hand with what you need.

Just tell him that David B sent you his details.

He may be able to help you out but just ask him to see what he can do for you. He has the full range of Vallejo products

Andrew has always given me a pretty good deal when it comes to buying Vallejo paints and as David points out, has the entire range so you don't have to go to several suppliers.
I think he got sick of me badgering him about MIG pigments and is in the process of becoming a distributor for those also.

This is my own personal opinion but I rarely ever use Vallejo Model Colour for airbrushing. Some love it, some tolerate it and some hate it... I am of the latter category. It does not matter what I dilute it with, what dilution and pressure I spray at I get fed up with it sputtering and being a general pain in the backside. Other brands spray flawlessly so I stick with them now.

However, the way it brushes on makes it the first choice paint for me. Before I started scale armour I exclusively painted miniatures and Vallejo Model Colour was always my go to paint. Great coverage with most hues and no brushstrokes.Great for applying chipping/weathering. Fantastic colour range if you are like me and only mix if you have to. There are a few colours that are well used and are handy for such tasks. The bronze and brass are nice metallics.

Some have had problems with the eyedropper bottles clogging but if you spend the time keeping them clean before you cap up for the last time the incidence is greatly reduced.

Finally, depending on the way you paint they have an inclination for the colours to split when diluted so need to be mixed regularly on the palette or used quickly by airbruish.

Back