• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Using Tamiya Flat Base

Phil_H

What it is:

[li]Tamiya X-21 Flat Base is a translucent whitish, thick liquid additive which is mixed with Tamiya's gloss paints to make them flat. [/li]

What it isn't:

[li]It is NOT a flat clear coat. Do not try to use this product on its own as a flat clear coat. Doing so will result in a model covered in a translucent white goo.

Unfortunately, Tamiya does not provide any sort of instructions on how to use this product, It's supplied in the same type of jars and is labelled in the same way as their regular paints, and over the years, many a modeller has been caught out thinking that it's a flat clearcoat.[/li]

How it's used:

Tamiya Flat Base is used to reduce the "glossiness" of Tamiya's gloss colours (including X-22 Clear). You can alter the level of "sheen" by altering the amount of Flat Base added to your paint.

[li]10-8 parts Gloss paint to 1 part Flat Base: Semi-Gloss[/li]
[li]6 Parts Gloss paint to 1 part Flat Base: Flat[/li]
[li]4 parts Gloss paint to 1 part Flat Base: Very Flat[/li]

So you can mix X-22 Clear Gloss with Flat base in the approximate ratios above to make semi-gloss or flat clear coats. If Future/Klear (or "Pledge with FUTURE shine" as it's now known in the US) is available in your locality, this works as a substitute for Tamiya X-22 to make a flat clear coat.

Thank you Phil.... now with your instructions I can take it out from my stash :) .... I didn't know how to use it :angry:

Cheers :cheer:
Massimo

I have used the Flat Base mixed with "Pledge with Future Shine" several times. Works without a hitch. Please don't ask what ratios I use, just like when I cook it's all eyeballin'.

One thing I've thought of doing is the X15 loaded on the B52 (these are flying thingys, google them if I lost ya). There is a picture that I can't find, of the X15 with it's extra fuel tanks filled and the condensation frozen on the outside. I've always thought using this fat base could replicate that effect well.

Back