• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Upgrading my computer.

Heavens Eagle

I mentioned a little while back that I was upgrading my computer's operating system. That went along fairly well until a component on the video card exploded and the machine went black. I considered just getting another video card, but I always do a bit of research and in this case I read a number of cases where the video card went poof or bang. In many of those the person said that they replaced the video card and it was all still down and then the new video card wouldn't even work on a known good machine, so the mother board was poof too.
Thus I opted to save the memory, hard drives and other parts where I could. I did research and bought a mother board that would still operate with my older memory. Confirmed that the memory would work with the new mother board through the memory manufacturer (G.SKILL) and bought the new motherboard, processor, and video card.
While assembling the motherboard I realized the cooler I had didn't have hardware to mount the new processor, so had to order a cooler for it. :bash:

Here are some photos as Barney was asking for. :bigrin:

Comp Upgrade-00.jpg

Comp Upgrade-01.jpg

Comp Upgrade-02.jpg

Comp Upgrade-03.jpg

Comp Upgrade-04.jpg

Comp Upgrade-5.jpg

Comp Upgrade-06.jpg

Comp Upgrade-07.jpg

Comp Upgrade-08.jpg

Comp Upgrade-09.jpg

As I stated, the wired internet that I like to use with my desktop does not want to work. The idiots at MSI blamed my Windows Install, and everything else. I figured out it was not the hardware at all, but Intel's newest drivers for the i225-V chipset just craps out in a Windows 10 machine. It turns out it is a common issue, which means someone "effed" up and intel doesn't really care to fix it at this point. I was told to upgrade to the bloatware Windows 11 which I have disabled that possibility for now. The BIOS had a switch where I could turn off the security chip that Windows 11 requires. No chip, no unexpected Windows 11 upgrade. Currently I am working my way back through the networking drivers for my chip to see if I can find one that will make the wired internet network run. Through all this I have learned a lot about Windows 10. You always learn so much more when it FUBARS and you have to fix it.
For now it is working fast smooth and cool. My programs are all clicking along well though Windows doesn't like my old Firehand Ember photo management program. It runs just fine, but Windows complains because it is and "unknown" program and the idiots don't have good a way to make it quit doing their stupid moronic popup every time I click on a photo. I can put the User Control to off, which is fine for me, but they should have a way to make Windows "accept" an admin authorize for a program and quit puking a popup warning for it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I saved all the online stuff I found for reference. Some of it can get a little deep, like editing the registry. That is something you do NOT do lightly nor without knowing just what you are doing.

Thanks for looking in.
3D-Cheersmate.gif

Back