• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Unusual 1-1 Scale ALeutian Baidarkas

Tankbuilder

Hi there.

If this is not appropriate please let me know.

These are three exact replicas built in the same way as the original boats were and are covered with sealskins. There are no metal fastenings used in the construction. All joints are lashed together and the result is a very strong yet flexible framework.

A little historical trivia. During his explorations of the Pacific Ocean Captain James Cook reported that the Aleuts were able to keep up with his ship with their Baidarkas even when his ship was sailing under reefed topsails. Marine designers felt that this was an incorrect observation because the theoretical top speed of these Baidarkas could not be achieved without motor power. In on the water tests in waters similar to where these boats originally were used it was found that they actually ride the crests of the waves and thus are at plane already. Therefore, after a couple of hundreds of years Captain James Cook's observation was proven to be true after all.

1_to_1_scale_19_ft_aleutian_baidarkas_20100513_1169351598.jpg

If there is interest, I do have in progress build images I can add.

Cheers from Peter

Hey Peter
Intriguing designs and a most interesting story too!
I for one would be up for some structural/framework photos?
Brad

I seriously doubt that anyone would object to this. Being able to see Construction methods is always of value. In short, post the dang pictures!

Back