• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tuscan/Venetian Plaster Technique in Scale?

Gorgeous look, I just don't know how to replicate it in a smaller scale.

http://www.europeanpaintandtextures.com/2010/07/02/faux-tuscan-venetian-plaster-technique-part-1/

http://www.europeanpaintandtextures.com/2010/07/05/faux-venetian-plaster-technique-part-2/

Any help, suggestions, or ideas are welcome. I already tried it using textured tan spray paint, some brushed streaks and then a wash, but it does not capture it very well. :( just looked like a bad finish. I'm lost on how to accomplish it

Why not do what they do. Except with the plaster and joint compound use Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1000. Also instead of tinting the compound, paint it white (Tamiya's flat white maybe) and then wash it with the various colors.

Just thinking out loud.

Would like to see this!

I have several friends in Sienna, Tuscany, Italy. If I was reproducing it in scale, I would use artist's paste. It is an acrylic mixture that comes ready to apply in wet form and can be purchased in most art stores. I would start with a rough, thin covering of the room or exterior of the building to be plastered. Then, take globs of the paste, maybe a half inch in diameter and place them here and there at random. Then using a plasterer's trowel, normal size, flatten the globs and make the raised surface as smooth as possible. When it looks right, let it dry overnight. Then, using a large sanding block, sand the raised portions only as smooth as possible, leaving the rough depressed portions as they are. They will give you the texture for your wash to cling to.

When satisfied with the texture, paint with an acrylic yellowish or brownish white color as a base, Then after drying a couple of days, wash with a 50-50 mixture of artist's oils raw umber and burnt sienna, thinned to the consistency of whole milk with artist's rectified turpentine. (Also available in art stores). . Do a small portion at a time. The wash should be opaque when applied, then blot, not rub, the wash with an old T-shirt until the plaster looks close to the effect you want. When it dries, it will be much more subtle and will dry totally flat.

There are actually several plaster finishes as well as colors. Here are three of many.

The following photo has a texture and color that is more what is more commonly thought of as Tuscan plaster. The instructions above should get you pretty close to this photo.

[

And here are two photos of actual models that I have used this process, however using different colors and weathering combinations.

Hope this helps,

Bob

That's inspired Bob, (y) but then you an inspiring kinda guy :lol:

This answer is going in my, "when ever I get to this point and don't know what to do" file.
Which I promise to read someday.....at the right time -not after :smack

CHEERS :drinks

Thank you so much for your detailed reply Bob :) I'm going to see what I can pull off, I will post some pics when I have progress to show

14300312205_c1027de775_c.jpg

A base coat of paint (no texturing or anything) with a streak of Tamiya clear blue put on and then blotted with a fine sponge used for make up.

Step in the right direction, hope to do some with textures soon

14300312205_c1027de775_c.jpg

A base coat of paint (no texturing or anything) with a streak of Tamiya clear blue put on and then blotted with a fine sponge used for make up.

Step in the right direction, hope to do some with textures soon

Looking Good!!!!!

I didn't mention the sponge technique, but as anyone can see, it works very well too. I generally use the technique I mentioned in the previous post for plaster, but I have used the sponge on vehicles and especially ruined clapboard houses and in this case the same color almost.

Bob

Back