• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Time To Watch your Brass Monkeys

Canadians have a different level of cold tolerance than we Southerners have.
Years ago was touring along the north shore of Lake Erie the week before Memorial day. (Think it was the Queens Birthday weekend) There were 2-3 foot waves and some wind. My daughter and I were in jackets and it was a little on the cool side for us. The locals were out there in bathing suits.

Victoria Day weekend is our first weekend of summer. In our neck of the woods it can be celebrated with snow. It helps keep the beer cold if you are out camping.

I had the reverse experience on a trip to Alabama in October. The course I was on ended early one day because of a cold weather warning. Grocery stores were packed, the local weather forecasters were reminding people not to let their pets out a night because it was going to get down to the freezing point. When I went out the next morning people were dressed like they were on an Antarctic expedition. I had a light fleece jacket on over my golf shirt, I was getting lots of strange looks.

Cheers,
RichB

dressed like they were on an Antarctic expedition.
You have to forgive us Rich. I mean it only gets like that a couple of days a year.
1705754240802.png

this was the last snow we had and it was 2 years ago this weekend.
And this shut us down!

image000001(6).jpg
First Blizzard. 5 January 2024, 11 inches on snow. Second blizzard 7 January 2024, 10 more inches. 18 January, 4 more inches of snow.
Freezing rain/snow mix on the way for tomorrow. Iowa winter, just like when I was a kid. Well, a much younger kid.
If a US Navy Guppy III submarine surfaced in the yard right before Sov paras dropped in, It would not surprise me much.
Welcome aboard, Captain Farraday. The O-club is right this way, sir.
A flight of Fishbed Charlies would be a shocker!

Had an ice storm last year. The next day the sky cleared and we had a full moon that night. My back yard looked like this with the ice on the trees.
Icy Moon.jpg

Brrr man, down in the teens this am. Just reminds me I really need to get the floors insulated in this house.

We semi finished the basement in this house 3 years ago (new build 2014) wood frame but put Roxul safe n sound R-24 insulation and R-2 drywall on the walls and basement ceiling….made a huge difference in comfort when sitting idle on the main floor as to not freezing my feet. Although when the temp drops to mid/low thirties Celsius I worry about furnaces, (we use high efficiency furnaces with the 5cm plastic stack that can freeze up, gas lines and water lines. Seen water lines to hydrants break and flood entire streets with water, makes a huge pool of ice in minutes and god help anyone whose car is parked…frozen to that spot till spring.
I don’t like winter, nope but I’ll take it over +50 heat in summer, tornado’s, earthquakes, tsunami, Russian bombs or whatever else is going on out there….I mean the neighbors to the south get a little loud from time to time but that’s just neighbours

Brrr man, down in the teens this am. Just reminds me I really need to get the floors insulated in this house.
Leave your water on at a drip in your faucets. Check to see if your furnace and water heater flues are frosted over. Drain your compressor, Maybe?

Back