• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Thoughts and advice on a lathe

Okay based on feedback and the fact the government decided to give me some money for something
I went for the lathe I showed and the suggested cutters and spindle. So now I guess we'll see how mechanically competent I actually am. This is what I ordered.
71MvfJdfx9L._SL1500_.jpg

41Uv-fAJmjL._AC_.jpg

51VZELf0nSL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I hope this wasnt a mistake.

Getting on the necessary tools helps. What do you want to make first James?
First thing is to turn a 10mm steel rod down to 9.6mm for a threaded insert press and then make some parts for a 3D printed hot wire foam cutting table. Then I may try working on some stuff for modeling. I will give Pauls suggestion of using it to clean road wheels a try also. After that it depends on any projects I find that tickle my fancy or for custom parts for my 3D printing as I make some new tools and toys for the Grand Kids. I think a Dining room set is out of the question besides which I already have a really nice dining room table. I'm sure Chris will think of something for me to make for her though when I figure out what I am doing.

First thing is to turn a 10mm steel rod down to 9.6mm for a threaded insert press and then make some parts for a 3D printed hot wire foam cutting table. Then I may try working on some stuff for modeling. I will give Pauls suggestion of using it to clean road wheels a try also. After that it depends on any projects I find that tickle my fancy or for custom parts for my 3D printing as I make some new tools and toys for the Grand Kids. I think a Dining room set is out of the question besides which I already have a really nice dining room table. I'm sure Chris will think of something for me to make for her though when I figure out what I am doing.
Actually, first thing will be setting it up and aligning the tailstock to the headstock. If they are not aligned properly you will end up with parts with a taper to them.

Nice score James. Looking forward to seeing your reports on this and what projects you pursue. I think I've mentioned that when I moved to Edmonton last year I took a job at a tool shop called KMS tools. We have a similar 7x12 lathe in the store but looks like you got a much better deal online. If you're down in Edmonton sometime and looking for more cutters or whatever stop in and say hi. I'm at the south edmonton store and off Tuesdays and we're closed sundays. It's been 30+ years since I touched a lathe so won't be much help but it would be nice to meet up again.

Nice score James. Looking forward to seeing your reports on this and what projects you pursue. I think I've mentioned that when I moved to Edmonton last year I took a job at a tool shop called KMS tools. We have a similar 7x12 lathe in the store but looks like you got a much better deal online. If you're down in Edmonton sometime and looking for more cutters or whatever stop in and say hi. I'm at the south edmonton store and off Tuesdays and we're closed sundays. It's been 30+ years since I touched a lathe so won't be much help but it would be nice to meet up again.
Will do. I will be passing by in July so will stop in. Hopefully by then I will have some small experience with it. Do you guys sell aluminum tubing by any chance? Round and rectangular?
James

Back