• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Wet Palette - an invaluable tool

Phil_H

Ok, so how many times has this happened to you?

You mix up the perfect shade of paint and just as you're about to dip your brush, the doorbell/phone rings or someone yells out for something. 20 minutes later, when you get back to your bench, your perfect shade of paint is a dry splotch and is unusable.

If you're working with water-based acrylics, a wet palette is the answer.

What is a wet palette?

Basically, it's a lidded box/tray (preferably airtight) with an absorbent pad which is used as a reservoir and a semi-permeable liner sheet on which you mix your paint. The pad is soaked with water, which can move through the liner sheet to keep the paint moist.

You can buy a wet palette ready-made from an art supplies store, or you can make your own from some very readily available bits and pieces which I'm sure many of us have lying around at home.

All you need is a plastic container with a lid, a kitchen sponge and a piece of silicone baking paper.

Here's an example of a simple one I made using a plastic container from a "Hot Dollar" store. (The ones in Sydney have suitable boxes/trays of all imaginable shapes and sizes.)

DSC00446.jpg

The sponge goes in the box, water goes on the sponge and the baking paper goes on top.

DSC00447.jpg

Viola! Instant wet palette. Total cost, about $2.00. :)

If you don't want to buy a plastic box, you may find a suitable take-away container with a lid, and this will make it even cheaper.

This setup has kept Vallejo paint ready to use for up to about 10 days. (Much more than that, particularly in the warmer months and it may start to go mouldy) :blink

I have a professional one from an art supply and it is superb :) , this would work just as well but use distilled water and it will not go mouldy ;)

Jenny :kiss:

chukw wrote:
What's the semi-perm sheet from? Great idea.... B)

Non-stick baking paper (the silicone type, not waxed paper). Handy stuff which has all sorts of uses in modelling. :)

jenny croft wrote:
I have a professional one from an art supply and it is superb :) , this would work just as well but use distilled water and it will not go mouldy ;)

Jenny :kiss:

Hey Jenny,

Actually I haven't had any mould problems personally, it was more a warning that it can happen. I've been using tapwater, but I might switch to distilled/demineralised water. :)

What timing. I was thinking of how someone would keep oils from drying up. I have a pallet of oils mixed from my figure painting lesson with Laura but as my time doesn't permit me to do my homework every night (excuse never worked during school) I've had to remix several times, some better, some not so much than the previous mix.

I suppose one would want to test with the various thinners and how the react to the plastic containers and the film before trusting it. Nothing like testing with chemicals, that's why my shop is OUTSIDE... :mpup

Back