• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Unsung Hero - your compressor

J

JonHayward

I have taken to calling Compressors the "Unsung Hero" of the modelling bench.

Why? Because mine kicked the bucket last night :(

It's not until you're without this piece of kit that you realise how important it is. No compressor means no airbrush.

Having just come off the phone with Clarke International's tech department and I've got a couple of ideas how to fix it so I'll see how it goes tonight (my misspent youth messing with cars is coming in handy here), but in the meantime I'm wondering how often do YOU pull your compressor from under the bench and give it some TLC ?

I wish I'd paid mine a bit more attention !

Oh....the karma you just created.. :blink :huh:

I have a old gas station refugee that I did rewire and clean up some. I didn't see an oil port but it's likely there somewhere. This is a dual cylinder rig with electric drive motor, belt driven. I keep it on all the time, about 100 lbs pressure. there's like a 30+ gallon tank. I have a moisture trap on my line but I've never seen any moisture in there so I'm thinking that's good right??

Do you drain the tank regularly?? That moisture will rust the tank in a big hurry!

Another thing I plan to do religiously once I've dried the tank out completely inside.

I hadn't drained my tank in MONTHS, the amount of water that came out was substantial and it was rust coloured. Not a good sign. Again - a maintenance point that's often overlooked.

We had one of those dual cylinders in the hanger that was drained weekly. Well it got rusted out and when they blow, its a heck of a noise and mess. So remember to drain.
James

Drain! At the end of the session, especially in humid weather, open the petcock on the tank and let the air push the water out. This is messy, so if your compressor is mobile, it's best to take it outside in an area that won't show rusty stains (in the grass or gravel drive).

Back