• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Road to Bardia

Chris ITA

Hi Guys

Here is the progress on my latest Project, the Road to Bardia

This includes the Miniart Bantam, and the Italeri (previous Peerless Max and in the case f the Bedford: Airfix as well) Bedford 3t Truck and Chevrolet 15cwt CMP

The premise is that the officers in the Bantam are on their way to the forward positions to visit a squadron, passing the wrecked evidence of a previous retreat to Alamein

I had to scratch a new bed for the Bedford as it was a boxing of the truck only part of the 6Pdr Portee kit. This means the bed is not correct for my needs so I made a General Service body. The CMP was similarly modified to allow me to depict more damage. The Bantam is out of the box

Here be pictures:
IMG_8248.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8310.jpg

IMG_8311.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

IMG_8370.jpg

IMG_8371.jpg

...amazing damage effects!...so realistic...my congratulations!

Thanks for posting..............Luiz.

Great work Chris, although it pains me to see a wrecked CMP :( . The dio idea is imaginative too.

oh maaaan! this is what I call true model making.....I am still coming to terms with building and painting from the box....I am dying to do a knocked out vehicle...I have seen so may good armour ones...your trucks are fantastic....I would love to see more

Great technique. Is the wood in the beds actually burned? That's pretty hard to pull of in scale. Most wood doesn't burn well, harder woods are better than softer ones.

The melted paint and burned out metal are great.

Thanks for the great comments guys :laugh:

Slodder, the 'burned wood' is styrene. I cut strips from 1.5mm styrene sheet (as they are different widths) then added woodgrain by scratching a razor saw sideways along the length of them.

When I had some sections I was happy with, I carved out some curves in them using a knife, leaving the bits that touched, or where clamped by, 'metal' parts thicker as these would not had burned as easily not being exposed on all sides.

To add the 'burned' texture, I cross hatch carved them using a kinfe for the lengthways cuts and striking them with a razor saw, using it a bit like a bow on a violin for the widthways cuts

They were then painted black, drybrushed with grey, then further white highlights added on the more burnt bits, and finally a wash made from a mix of black and burned umber

HTH :)

Chris

Hey Chris, Very nice work on the burnt wood, love how it turned out. ;)

Looking forward to seeing these two on a base.

Rob

www.scratchmod.com

Oops, sorry Rob :blush:

Guys, I should point out, I didn't invent the burned wood technique, I borrowed (ie nicked) it off Rob ;)

Thanks for the pointers Rob :)

Hey Chris
no worries my friend, you did the work so it's all yours. Was more than glad to help.
I'm waiting to see the final set up on the base, scene a looks good, but the idea of having one overturned truck is very interesting. Keep us posted.

Rob
www.scratchmod.com

Dear Moderator

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Mr or Mrs Moderator, I've put this in armour but its going to develop into a dio, can you move it to 'Dioramas' please? :)

Re: Dear Moderator

I find it upsetting that I miss these little gems like this. Well done Chris, can't wait to see it all together.

moon puppy wrote:
I find it upsetting that I miss these little gems like this. Well done Chris, can't wait to see it all together.
Well, pay attention, willya? Fer cryin' out loud! :laugh: i don't know how you find time to keep up with half the stuff you do! :notworthy

Chris, another awesome build, mate! (y) (y)

I don't know but from where I'm sitting that looks about as good as it gets :ro:

Tim

Back