• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Quonset Hut

Ruben Lopez

(I don't know if this is the right place for this but if not feel free to move it to where it might belong.)

Hi everybody.

The "Quonset Hut" was a hut made of corrugated sheet metal used by the US army primarily as troop shelter during WWII. You could find it in almost every theater of operations and even in places as far from the war as Alaska.

In January I was approached by Masterpiece Models to make the masters of two huts; one in 1/35 and one in 1/48. Last weekend I finished and sent them to the company. Today they were approved for production so now I can show them here.(Now you know why I haven't been around here much.) :laugh:

P1020410.jpg

This is the front.

P1020409.jpg

Top view. It will be longer than this!

P1020408.jpg

Back wall.

Here's in 1/48
P1020411.jpg

The whole sets will be a front and a back wall and three middle sections. Plus the door of course!
Masterpiece Models Expects to release them in April 2010.

Comments are alway welcome.
Ruben

jenny croft wrote:
I have called them called Nissan Huts here in Australia :) , they are the same thing I think !

Jenny :kiss:

Well, you can say they are cousins.

The Nissen Hut was the original one designed by the British back in 1916 but when the Americans decided to copy it they made certain improvements to it. The most important being insulation! The Nissen hut relied on the empty space between walls for insulation while the Quonset hut got the space filled with paper providing better protection against the elements.

Since they couldn't use the name Nissen Hut the Americans decided to name it Quonset Hut because it was constructed originally in Quonset Point, Rhode Island.

Ruben

My apologies for digging this up-- but I just wanted to say that I picked up one of these in 1/48 scale and am thoroughly impressed Ruben! I plan on doing some sort of cutaway diorama showing some airmen in between missions...I am still researching and gathering ideas- as well as going through my figures in my spares drawer to decide which ones to use. I might even pick up the 1/35 scale version and do another-- possibly as a briefing hut. Thanks for this great kit!

Yo Jeeves,

Do not apologize for bringing this up: this is seriously good diorama material!
emoticon_nod.gif
Plus the work done by Ruben is great - the Quonset Hut really looks the part! Congrats Ruben and thanx Jeeves!
101.gif

Cheers! :)
Fernao

Back