• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The kit that scares me - 1/48 GWH Sukhoi 35S - Russian Knights

Right, more work done while waiting for the "water" on the Bismarck dio to dry.

Tamiya clear - spray and it wasn't easy to get some with the pandemic stuff going on. This is after the 5th layer.

IMG_1951a.JPG

Those thin red stripes ...:ph:... the decals are very nice and easy to work with, but, for some reason, they are a bit too short in length. Strange thing for an otherwise very nicely detailed kit.
IMG_1952a.JPG

Next comes the 6k - 8k - 12k sandpaper, then using the three Tamiya compounds, very gently, don't want to ruin it, then buffing it up. Weathering the big engines is another journey, more about that later.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Looks great, Laurence!
Unless you have orange peel texture in your paint, you might just use the blue cap compound with a piece of flannel. I find that really brings up the gloss and little or no chance of going through an edge. Any white residue in panel lines can be wiped out or removed with a tooth pick. Good luck, this is a beauty. :good:

Thank you all for the kind words, and a special note here ... Luiz, good to see you my friend, been a while.
Sadly I got some orange peel, because I didn't know what I was doing with the Tamiya clear spray.

I got the can, shook it for well over a minute - not good #1 - should have dipped it into warm water for better results, prior to shaking it.

Worked on the model on the balcony, sunny but not that warm - not good #2 - temperature is vital.

Sprayed from around 25-30 cm away (10-12 inches or so) - moving fast - 15 minutes later another coat, repeat until covered making sure there were no runs - this bit went well.

The issue - orange peel appears when the paint dries before it hits the model or very shortly thereafter. Instead, it should set properly, drying slowly at temperatures (according to others) around 25-30 C or 75 - 80F. Suggestion - find a decent size plastic box to cover the model immediately after spraying, to keep the temperature constant and warm enough to get the job done well. I cannot have it painted inside, fumes and all. It has to be outside.

So, long story short, wet sanding 4k to 12k, gradually, then Tamiya polishing compounds. Seems to be working so far, but more work needs doing. Doesn't help with rookie mistakes, like painting the flaps with the same color on both sides ....that was dumb ...but easy to fix.

I hate orange peel, never been able to do a decent job with a spray can and get that nice, glossy finish. Maybe now I will get this right, please feel free to share your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

You've already IDed the issues and moving forward with the corrections. You'll get it Laurence! :hummm:

Lawrence, at least you know what went wrong and how to fix it. I always have a problem with patience: I tend to re-spray too soon so my entire model develops crackling all over that needs to be sanded off and re-shot.

Don't worry, you got this.

Right, this is 99.99% done. Canopy not attached.

IMG_2092a.JPG

IMG_2096a.JPG

IMG_2099a.JPG

And the real thing .....

Plane_Angle.jpg

Thanks for watching and for the kind words, this has been a first for me. Could have been a lot better, but, at least I don't feel like throwing it in the bin, that's a plus.

Laurence

Back