• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Military Buildup Continues...

Thanks Engineer! You should see my posts under "What's on the Workbench?"; you'll get to see everything I'm working on while also doing this campaign. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

You must have a 44 gallon drum of glue out the back :D

Actually, 30 gallon drum..... with a pump system to bring it to my upstairs Hobby Room. :blink :woohoo: :woohoo: :D

Actually, whenever I go to a Hobby Shop, I typically pick up one tube of Testor's plastic cement and one bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin whether I need it or not. Now I have 7 tubes of Testor's plastic cement and 9 bottles Tamiya Extra Thin. I certainly have enough for the rest of the year at least... :D

Thanks for the comment. Stay tuned, more to come.

Okay Randy, I found some painting time! I shot a Dark Green over my T-54B:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_VII.jpg

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_VIII.jpg

This is glossy in these pics because I shot a gloss clearcoat over it before I realized I hadn't shot a pic of it after I painted it. I also should have finished the rear end before I shot this... oh well.

In addition to that, I also got started on the second model for this Campaign; my M1A2 Abrams SEP TUSK. I started out bypassing the part of the instructions where they say to add all the semi-clear parts to all the windows and periscopes on this model. Instead I went straight to assembling all four parts of the lower hull. Then I assembled the upper hull and put the two together:

WIP_Abrams_MBT_Campaign_III.jpg

WIP_Abrams_MBT_Campaign_IV.jpg

Then I went and assembled the main gun:

WIP_Abrams_MBT_Campaign_V.jpg

Finally, since I had the main gun; I needed a turret to mount it in:

WIP_Abrams_MBT_Campaign_VI.jpg

Wow, that looks so basic. Time to add all the goodies to this and make it look good:

WIP_Abrams_MBT_Campaign_VII.jpg

All that's left to do with this is to add all the windows to the parts that need them; assemble the TUSK portions of the hatches and then I can paint this. I'll add all the breakable fiddly bits later on when this is mostly done. On the lower hull, all that is needed is to add the wheels and tracks and then I can paint it too.

In closing, I'll leave you with a shot of this tank all dry-fit together so far. Enjoy:

WIP_Abrams_MBT_Campaign_VIII.jpg

That's all I have for now. I'm gonna have a very busy weekend so I doubt I'll get anything more done until next week. Stay tuned for more and until then, comments are welcome. Thanks for looking in.

Well, it's been a very busy week so I have a very short update. Here's what I got done so far on these two tanks.

I applied the decals to the T-54B tank as well:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_IX.jpg

That was quick and easy, so I painted the tracks and added them to the lower hull:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_X.jpg

This beastie will be finished and weathered very soon; provided I get the time.

Also, someone asked if my Tiger Models Abrams SEP TUSK had photo-etch. Yes it does; it is added to the bottom of the stowage racks. Here's a shot of it already installed:

WIP_Abrams_MBT_Campaign_IX.jpg

The brass color sure blends with the bare color of this model.

That's all I have for this week. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased at how well and how fast these are going. Maybe next week I'll be able to finish something.

Well, I have a few hours to go before I have to leave for Midnight Mass, so here's the latest progress I got done today. It ain't much, just small steps here and there to try and get this closer to the finish line.

First off, I wasn't happy with the holes in the back of the T-54. I didn't want to fill them, wait for them to dry, then sand them smooth; possibly eliminating a lot of detail back there. So I came up with another idea that is slightly inaccurate, but was far easier and faster to do.

First thing, I cut a piece of styrene strip about the width of the back area and glued it on over the holes:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_XIa.jpg

Here you can see the holes I'm covering:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_XIb.jpg

Then I trimmed this plastic down to size:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_XIc.jpg

After that, I added the upper hull; snapping it into place without glue and proceeded to sand it smooth:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_XId.jpg

The second band of white above is simply the light reflecting off the still-glossy surface of the rear upper hull.

Here is the new addition already painted. The paint is still a little wet here:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_XIe.jpg

Okay, while I was shooting dullcoat around on the Huey, I also shot the T-54. This one is also weathered a bit with some dusting of brown:

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_XII.jpg

WIP_T_54_MBT_Campaign_XIII.jpg

Now the T-54 just needs the roof machine gun and it'll be finished. Then I can complete the Abrams.

Well that's all I was able to get done this Christmas Eve morning before my wife came home. Now I'm off to Midnight Mass. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Finally, I can declare that one of the two models for this campaign are completed.

I finished the Trumpeter T-54B tank. I added the machine gun on top, painted this with Testor's Model Master paints and weathered with the Tamiya weathering powders as well. Here she is; the weathering showing up slightly better in these pics:

Russian_T-54B_Tank_i.jpg

Russian_T-54B_Tank_IIi.jpg

Russian_T-54B_Tank_Ii.jpg

Now all I have to do is complete the Abrams. Once I get the color I need for that I'll be able to move on. Until then, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks Kenny! That does sound like a good idea. I'll have to consider that the next time I run across the need. Thanks for the tip!

Back