• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The digital recasters: the death of garage kits.

ausf

Master at Arms
This is a recast of a Jeff Yagher sculpt.

They 3D scan a kit, then print out copies to sell.

The difference between this and the older scum that recasted is now there is no physical store or Ebay shop that can be shut down or otherwise held accountable. It's just files emailed to anyone, anywhere.

Apparently there are entire groups like this, in some cases they crowdfund the purchase of a kit, then share the files.

83423043_1529650097209159_6231430674411680341_n.jpg
83683186_1529650153875820_623604261786643819_n.jpg

Some people have no souls. I recently tried to purchase some figures from a company, apparently they are not selling them anymore because of pirate recasters. What a shame.

Piracy is killing the industry. It just sucks that there is so much and nothing seems to be done about it.
James

I imagine it is similar to what wood workers deal with with plans to their projects.

I wonder if it would help Garage Kit makers if they produce their figures and have them digitally scanned for the files and sell those digital files at a reduced rate for people who can print them themselves??

I'm not sure how one would police it..

It's the nasty business of file sharing. Really hard to lock down this type of stuff. I guess the best thing to do is shame those who do this. I mean if Jeff were to do a sculpt and willfully shared out files that's one thing but some jackass going out, buying a kit and then scanning it for reproduction. :smack:

Here is the thing, while those that do this can end up with a copy, it has little to no real value on the market. I have several genuine numbered figures that were not cheap. Painted up properly they are worth 2 or 3 times the original cost. As they are the "genuine articles" they appreciate in value. The others are like buying a fake Rolex, trash that have little real value.

I doubt they are factoring in any value in this. They just want the kit or whatever for their on personal wants. I've heard the argument (not a good one but one none the less) that it's for personal so no harm no fowl. Again... :smack:

I doubt they are factoring in any value in this. They just want the kit or whatever for their on personal wants. I've heard the argument (not a good one but one none the less) that it's for personal so no harm no fowl. Again... :smack:

I stopped selling the 1/16 heads to the UK based on the attitude the RC tanker community openly embraced. Since there was a large group interested, I suggested I could save them shipping by bundling them and sending to one address since they all attended the same shows. They said 'no matter, we'll just buy one and copy it.' When I suggested it was stealing, they said they paid for it, it's theirs to do with what they pleased and since thye are not charging for copies, it's not stealing.

They also requested Brit heads as they told me this.

I hear a lot of arguments, I can't afford the real kit, etc. but as people have been warning, you just drive all the sculptors/producerrs away and eventually theres no product left. I know I'm done with doing anything that isn't a personal project at thsi point.

I certainly can't blame you. It's depressing how strong that mentality is anymore.

About the only argument I could see would be if it was for an out of production item that was not easily obtainable any other way.

I guess the guys in the UK are just out of luck now are they not Jeff? Too bad there isn't a way to just put a big old copyright logo on it right in the middle of the face. That would have been funny.

One Facebook site I watch semi regularly is Model Builder's Asylum. It mainly caters to figures, but has a little of everything. At this point he has banned all 3D printed stuff. Items being created on the computer and computer images are still OK, but if it is anything printed out, it is now verboten for the reasons stated here.

I see the industry going all to 3D printing. You'll order the program to print out your own stuff to build and paint. The printers are getting better and cheaper. Just like what happen to film cameras. Now you can print a picture that was better than anything twenty years ago.

As we speak about such things, some Chinese produced model kits are shameless copies of other manufacturers works. In China there is NO respect for copyright laws of other Nations. Intellectual Property is accorded NO respect. There is no legal recourse.
Years back, the high price of resin model kits was explained to me by good ol' Tom Bly. It's because they aren't too hard to copy. These days I better understand his explanation.
I expect to 3D print some of what TLAR Models will produce in the not too distant future. I watch for the print texture to improve and for materials to be much more finish friendly. Option B is to 3D print masters and mold and cast them the tried & true way, with materials that have stood the test of time.

I stopped selling the 1/16 heads to the UK based on the attitude the RC tanker community openly embraced. Since there was a large group interested, I suggested I could save them shipping by bundling them and sending to one address since they all attended the same shows. They said 'no matter, we'll just buy one and copy it.' When I suggested it was stealing, they said they paid for it, it's theirs to do with what they pleased and since they are not charging for copies, it's not stealing.

They also requested Brit heads as they told me this.

I hear a lot of arguments, I can't afford the real kit, etc. but as people have been warning, you just drive all the sculptors/producerrs away and eventually theres no product left. I know I'm done with doing anything that isn't a personal project at thsi point.
That blows me away! Then they had the gall to ask you for a second sculpt? PFFFGHT! Jog On, Tanker Wankers! Feel free to think up something on your own.

Yes. Yes you did. If I had fewer scruples, I might vengefully copy any Chinese made item I thought was cool. As a dinky US business owner, I will not lower myself to their level. What is a Man without integrity?

Back