• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TBM Avenger

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in I'm in!!! :yipee

TBF001.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

This box caught my attention sitting on the self at the LHS, the plain white wrapper gave me that feeling it was special. Turns out it's not so much they just didn't do any box art for it. I looked closely at teh sprues and the detail is really deep and all molded on the parts. To me, this looks like a painter's build. That's what I'm going to try to do, a really good paint job on this and not worry so much about constructing ignition harnesses that will never be seen.

Already sprayed Vallejo Model Air Zinc Chromate on interior shots. But it's suppose to be Bronze Green you say? I have a plan! (I really thought I picked up some Bronze Green the other day but can't find it anywhere) :pilot

Quick question, the glance over on google didn't really show anything, was there any significant differences between the TBF and the TBM, other than one was Grumman built, other was General Motors?

Re: TBM Advenger

Yeah Chip it does, nicely detailed bomb bay but no torpedo! What's up with that? it's got 4 bombs, think they are 500lbs and a little bomb dolly (molded in one piece). Hey, after the Mustang I think I'm due a cakewalk. :mpup

They did different versions as far as I remember. A bomber, a depth charger and a torpedo plane.
James

Lazy mouse- I have heard of Accurate Miniatures and I'm sure i can look them up online but I'm asking you, what do you think of whats in that box Bob? Is it really that nice, looks great from here.

I think this may be the same kit...http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/us/lutztbm.htm

That's a good looking review Chip, haven't seen it yet. This kit is the -1C but I suspect they are coming off the same molds.

I've done several Accurate Miniatures boxings but according to others, I've yet to do an actual Accurate Miniatures kit. I can tell the difference in the sprues on this kit as oppose to the Accurate Miniatures Pips Priller FW offering.

The instructions are not what you'd expect, they are heavy on text and light on illustrations so that review will come in handy.

The details are very well done from what I've seen. They took the time to mold in place wiring harnesses and plumbing that others would have left off and made us scratch build in place. Like I said this looks to be a painter's build, hopefully this evening I'll have time to start some work.

I built 2 of them Bob. Very nice kits. Read the instructions, it will make your life easier. They did a lot of work to make the written instructions build out properly. I left my turrets off until everything was painted. Takes a bit of work and holding your tongue just right to install after the kit is all built. I got rid of my spare kits ages ago or I'd send you a torpedo. Think you will enjoy this.
James

You did get some bronze green at the last Augusta Raid, guess it's with the Spitfire decals? :pinch:

Wasn't it Model Master? You had it in your hands when Dave was helping you with the Ford colors. Is it with those?

Model Master makes the best Bronze green. Be aware that the use of Bronze green in the Avenger depends on the model and manufacturer. I dont have my refs here and have to go to work, but TBM ws made by 1 company and TBF by another and the Bronze green is only in (going by memory now and it sucks) the TBF.
James

Every time i see one of these new Avengers my hands start shaking- I built at least 2 of the old monogram kits in the 70's, but they didnt have the lower rear bay detail in them. Not that I can remember anyway?

Watching this- after fighting that Mustang you should walk over this one. :popcorn

hmm...I'll dig deeper.

What I had planned on doing with the bronze green was run a blue filter over it like i did the first Wildcat I did.
before
F4F1212.jpg

after
F4F1211.jpg

here you can see the tone shift in a side by side
F4F1213.jpg

If I can put my hand on the Bronze Green I could see how close I came doing this filter.

Model Master makes the best Bronze green. Be aware that the use of Bronze green in the Avenger depends on the model and manufacturer. I dont have my refs here and have to go to work, but TBM ws made by 1 company and TBF by another and the Bronze green is only in (going by memory now and it sucks) the TBF.
James

Dang you're right James!

The TBF is Grumman who did the Bronze Green and Grumman Grey for primers. TBM is General Motors who build Grumman products (F4F Wildcats and TBF Avengers) under license and would have used their own paint mixes, which means they would likely had used ol' ZC primer.

So if I go with the TBM I'm off the hook for Bronze Green?

James

Dang you're right James!

The TBF is Grumman who did the Bronze Green and Grumman Grey for primers. TBM is General Motors who build Grumman products (F4F Wildcats and TBF Avengers) under license and would have used their own paint mixes, which means they would likely had used ol' ZC primer.

So if I go with the TBM I'm off the hook for Bronze Green?

99.9% sure. Will look through my books tonight and get back to you. The time clock is calling my name.

Very cool!!

Many argue that the AM Avengers closely rival the Tamiya P-47s as some of the very best 1/48 scale kits on the market. I've build one and still have another in the stash. I may even have a spare torpedo if you want me to look?

When they had their website, AM had an awesome reference section for each of their models with an online build with tips...but as James said-- even though the instructions are wordy-- they are extremely helpful and informative...

Here's another good review:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/am/build_am_480120.shtml

Thanks Mike, you're not going to weigh in on the Bronze Green debate? :mpup

I haven't see that review, checking it out now.

I'd go with what they say here Bob...they seem to have done their homework:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/05/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part3.htm

Back