• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya glue

jknaus

Administrator
Okay I tried Tamiya green cap and am very impressed with it. I just got a bottle of white cap. Question is, how do you use it? Is it one were you glue both sides and then press together and hold till dry? Thanks
James

Okay I tried Tamiya green cap and am very impressed with it.
This is the thin one where you hold the parts together and capillary action fills the seam with cement. My first choice.

I just got a bottle of white cap. Question is, how do you use it? Is it one were you glue both sides and then press together and hold till dry?
You are correct, this one you add cement and press together. I prefer Testors' Model Master for this type.
MA1_001.JPG

Testors is the black bottle at lower left.

Regards,

I'm using Tamiya Thin over the Tanex lately, Seems it has a longer cure time to allow repositioning. My biggest problem is remembering to put the cap back on securely.

Bought a bottle of Ethylacetat at the pharmacy, and it works great, filled up my tamiyabottle with that when it was empty (so far i have managed not to tip over the bottle!)
//Mats

Bought a bottle of Ethylacetat at the pharmacy, and it works great, filled up my tamiyabottle with that when it was empty (so far i have managed not to tip over the bottle!)

I never thought of Ethyl Acetate... but I already have seven liquid cements so I will wait until one goes empty.

Regards,

Saul, you know if that's something we can get over the counter?

Over the counter where? :D That would be my question. I see lab supply stores selling the bottles but nowhere else yet (of course eBay and Amazon). Those avenues negate the inexpensiveness once shipping is factored in.

The all important MSDS sheet which (in the US) should be considered:
http://sargentwelch.com/pdf/msds/Ethyl_Acetate_272.00.pdf

Sargent Welch has a good price on the 500ml Ethyl Acetate bottle along with excellent color coded scalpels with retractable blades, and (thanks to Bob Sr.'s use of this product in his trolley to simulate damaged glass sheets) student grade microscope slides.

Regards,

Sometimes buying chemicals from the lab supply companies can be difficult. As a biology teacher, I buy certain chemicals every year for use in labs. This past year, iodine which is a fairly common chemical we use took almost three months to get while they were trying to ensure we were using it for lab use and not something else...

Back