• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 P-51D VLR

Adam

Doing an Iwo Jima Mustang on this one with some old Super Scale decals. Should be fun right?!?!?!?!

DSC06279_zps58c351e0.jpg

DSC06281_zps7d873cbd.jpg

Who's ready for some NMF??? :yipee

You know they have the VLR version of this kit now? Think the only thing they added were teh multiple antenna mast for the UD directional system. "Someone" had to scratch build those antenna a couple of years ago....

You're going to love this kit Adam!

:popcorn

Didn't you do that on the 1/32 kit? AFAIK the only noticeable difference on them is the antennas?? On this kit i'm pretty sure there are indents on the inside of the fuselage you are supposed to drill out for them.

Yes, he's referring to the 1/32 scale behemoth. The antenna issue was that of symmetry in scratch building. :D

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this, Adam. (y)

Didn't you do that on the 1/32 kit? AFAIK the only noticeable difference on them is the antennas?? On this kit i'm pretty sure there are indents on the inside of the fuselage you are supposed to drill out for them.

Oh this is the 1:48 one.

Actually they have a separate spin for at least 3 diff variants and antenna arrays.

Well I figured it was about time to post an update on this. I've been working VERY SLOWLY on this but I'm now about ready for some paint.

DSC06486_zps8d3fb5dc.jpg

The only addition to the cockpit I made was some color etch belts from Eduard.

DSC06487_zps1112dc49.jpg

Also picked up these which look awesome:

DSC06489_zpsfb8f2150.jpg

And these because I can never drill all the exhaust holes out evenly.

DSC06490_zps66803354.jpg

DSC06492_zps831bb128.jpg

I also scratched these up for the Uncle Dog antenna. This is the third or fourth iteration and it still needs some refinement.

DSC06493_zpsd07b0bb9.jpg

I'm hoping to get this all pained up before I leave on vacation next Friday so that I can let it sit for a good week or more and let the metal paint cure without my impatient grubby fingers touching it.

Thanks for looking in. Comments welcome. :Hiay

I feel your pain about the antenna. :popcorn

Looking good Adam, remember that the antenna that was on the top was moved to between the main landing gear doors centerline. Think it's the VHF antenna?

:pilot

Thanks guys. Yeah Bob, that is probably the very last thing I will attach.

Come to think of it you'll be the first one to see it in person.

Wondered where this had gone, Adam. Good to see it re-surfaced and back on the bench.

Ian

Finished! :yipee

DSC06507_zps422f5abe.jpg

DSC06498_zps86ba3681.jpg

DSC06506_zpse8f34c2c.jpg

DSC06500_zps241d775f.jpg

DSC06497_zps8ba55ea4.jpg

DSC06505_zps1e3b1692.jpg

DSC06510_zps4735fa36.jpg

DSC06512_zps5deeac7f.jpg

The green stripe decals were hell to get all lined up. Otherwise a vice free build. Hope you all like it!

Back