• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 Brewster B 339 Buffalo (Done)

nerdling

Decided to go with the old but still very nice Tamiya Buffalo kit. Won't start until I get my dog of a kit 1/72 Encore C-45 done. The pictures are old. I kept forgetting to post them. Also just came across a partial set of Eduard PE for this kit in my spares. Used the US Navy bits but it still has all the stuff for this version.

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Brewster B 339 Buffalo

Cool, I'm going to have to build an Aussie version of this one day!

Ah... I may buy this kit, this will be interesting! :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Ah... I may buy this kit, this will be interesting! :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

I highly recommend it. It has parts to build several different versions of the Buffalo. Just don't buy the Yellow wings version that kit only has stuff to do the F2A-2 version. But this one has everything you need.

And away we go. For such an old kit this has some great detail right out of the box. I did add some Eduard stuff from a partial set I had in the spares bin.

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4950.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG

Nice ejector pin marks. But once this is all buttoned up you won't even see them

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_4953.JPG

I love these Eduard panels.

IMG_4954.JPG

This will go in the blank area on the left hand fuselage side. I built the control out of some evergreen stock. Much better looking then the flat piece Eduard gives you.

IMG_4955.JPG

Got her all buttoned up today. The fit on this kit was wonderful. I only used filler on a few areas and those were to close up some mounting holes for parts that I wasn't using on this version.

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

Thanks for watching guys. So far this kit has been great as far as fit has gone. I of course lost the ventral window. Luckily I still have one of my first completed builds from years ago. So I stole the window from that one and wouldn't you know it not 10 minutes later I found the other window. So far it has been the only part that didn't fit well. Have her all primed and finished painting the bottom side. I used Vallejo Model Air black and something they claim is RLM 84. But it looks like a fairly decent match to sky to me. Brewster used their own paint anyways so the colors don't actually have to match completely.

IMG_4966.JPG

And she is done. Painted up with Vallejo Model Air paints(flat black, RLM 84, US Dark Green, and Dark Earth. Not sure I really like the US Dark Green. It is to close to the dark earth color for my taste. But I kept reading it was a good match for RAF Dark Green. Rigged her up with EZ Line. The decals are the stock ones straight from the kit. Not sure if Tamiya went with a different printer or what but they were amazing. Comments or critiques welcome

Tried playing around with the setting to see which of these last two look better.

Looks good. I see what you mean about the green. It really blends intop the brown doesnt it. Really nice job painting it. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Back