• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/12 Ducati 916

Adam Baker

Thought I started a thread for this build a long time ago, but I cant find one, so I'll start one.

This kit is Tamiya's 1/12 Ducati 916 motorcycle. Build is out of box, except for some carbon fiber decals that I put on the exhaust cans.

According to the time stamp on the pictures I've been taking of this build, I started this build on January 5th, 2008, so its been 6 years since I started it.

Biggest reason for it taking so long, is I've had a ton of issues getting the fairings painted. I decided early on on the build that I was going to paint this thing black instead of the common Rosso Corsa Red that Italian performance vehicles tend to be painted.

So for progression pic's through the build.

Decided to add a bit of detail, on the rotors. The 916 apparently runs cross drilled rotors, since the rotors had dimples on them, so I decided to drill out the dimples for some easy added detail.

DSC00003.jpg

Completed engine installed into the frame w/ the rear tire in place.

Ducati916_28.jpg

As mentioned, the only thing extra I added to the kit, were carbon fiber decals to the exhaust cans, just b/c I wanted something different.

I used Scale Motorsports 1/24 scale twill weave CF decal on the cans. I ended up having to put 2 layers of decals down, b/c for some reason, the first layer pulled itself apart a bit when it dried. No clue what caused it, but it wasnt a huge deal. To get the decals to lay down, I had to use a lot of Solvaset, and a hair dryer on low to give some heat, to get the decals to lay correctly.

First layer w/ the splitting.

exhaust_01.jpg

2nd layer down & good to go.

exhaust_04.jpg

And the last set of pic's I took when I worked on it before, which according to the time stamp, was in July of 2010.

Everything is complete to this point except the painting of the fairings & the rotors. I had the rotors on the front tire here, to check to make sure I had the front forks aligned correctly when I was gluing them in place.

Ducati916_46.jpg

Ducati916_48.jpg

Hopefully the build will be finished later this week, but we'll see!

:popcorn (y) Always nice to go back to a shelf queen and finish her up isn't it. Maybe you should put it into the shelf queen campaign.

Made some excellent progress on this yesterday. Managed to get 4 coats of Tamiya Gloss Black down on the parts. Overall it looks like they went down very nicely. There were a few places where the first coat seemed to do down a bit funny, but after it was dry, the subsequent coats when down great. Probably let the parts dry for a couple of days, and then I'll work on polishing them lightly, to remove any trash, and level the paint out some. Looks like I got just a bit of orange peal in a few places, and had a couple runs but those arent too bad thankfully.

Also managed to get the first color down on the brake rotors. Going to try getting the 2nd color down tonight, so hopefully those will be done & ready to go on permanently tomorrow evening.

Here are a few pic's I took after getting the first & second coats of paint on the fairings.

Ducati916_52_zpsfc944986.jpg

Ducati916_53_zps3d49cf8c.jpg

Ducat916_54_zps6efc194b.jpg

Ducati916_55_zps8bc65cf5.jpg

Its amazing what can happen when you actually feel motivated to work on it. This feels nice, been a long time since I've really felt motivated to do any modeling.

Bit more progress made last night.

I was able to get the rotors completed, and installed. Used a circle template to mask off most of the outer portion of the rotor that I painted on Sunday, and then got it painted w/ Tamiya Gold Leaf. I have to say that the Gold Leaf is probably the worst of the Tamiya acrylics to airbrush. It kept clogging up my airbrush, and then spraying out all of a sudden, but thankfully I was able to keep from messing up the rotors while painting. Once they were dry I painted all the bolt heads w/ Flat Aluminum. I'm very happy w/ how they came out.

Ducati916_58_zps165d6039.jpg

And here they are on installed permanently on the bike (sorry for the not real great pic's, I broke the bulb on my desk lamp last week, so the lighting sucks on my bench right now).

Ducat916_60_zps18b85d91.jpg

Ducati916_61_zpsc2431625.jpg

Ducati916_62_zps84d51daf.jpg

Tonight I'll start work on polishing out the body panels and then look at what I want to do for clear coat. I have some Omni 2 part clear coat that I've been wanting to try for a long time, but just haven't ever had the guts to pull the trigger, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot on this one.

Back