• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Surprised by an old kit!

sharkman

Master at Arms
I was at one of the local stores on the weekend and a second hand kit caught my eye. It was Revell's Mitsubishi KI-21 Sally in 1/72 scale (made in 1975).

Now, aside from floaters and other ugly planes, I do like Japanese planes and find their bombers to be particularly interesting. Probably why I was drawn to this kit (and the nice box art). It was selling for $10 but because it was 1/72 scale I passed it up (I've built the Matchbox Do 18 in 1/72 and have the BV 222 but that's as much as I've been willing to delve in the smaller scales, I just like 48 better)!

Anyway, I went home to see if anyone had produced a 1/48 Sally and found that only a Sanger VacForm and a rare resin Tri Angle kit were the only two to be had. After deciding my chances of finding the Tri Angle kit were next to nil and the amout of work needed for the Sanger kit would take me the rest of my life, I thought for $10, what the hey!

The next day I went back to get the kit (fortunately, it was still there) and after getting it home I was quite surprised how much detail there was. The interior isn't much to write home about but I am in awe by the fine engraved panel lines and rivets molded into this kit. The fit is amazing (I doubt it will need any filler at all), the clear parts are crystal clear with no defects, the fabric surfaces look great, there's a slight bit of flash on the props and even the instructions (though all in Japanese) are partially printed in colour (there's even a silver paint painted on the paper of the bare metal version). I was just very impressed at the complexity and detail for an almost 40 yr old kit!

I read online that the molds for this kit were possibly lost at sea on their way back to America and only MPM has made one since which had a resin interior but the fit wasn't as great as the Revell kit. I would say it easily holds a candle to some of the more elaborate kits out nowadays (all it needs is a good resin interior).

Here are some shots:

Just goes to show there are some really good older kits still out there!

(and that we could use some more of these Japanese bombers in 1/72 and 1/48!)

Outstanding looking kit! I will be on the look out for one these.

B)

It's probably been sitting there since '75. Nice score, gotta wonder if the molds were not good and fresh when this popped out.

So when you gonna build it?

It's probably been sitting there since '75. Nice score, gotta wonder if the molds were not good and fresh when this popped out.

So when you gonna build it?

Maybe this spring? We'll see. I want to finish up the Floaters, CTA II, Shelf Queen and Deja Vu builds first..

Super deal! I checked evilBay and there are a slew of the Hasagawa kit, an Arii kit and the LS kit. All of them are costing more than $10. There are also many aftermarket MASKs and decals...

As much as this thing is a green house, masks would be a good thing.

Had a very similar experience a few years back when I scored an original 'Mania' 1:48 Ki27, the one that ended-up in a Hasegawa box for three times the price !!

hb331121.jpg

Yep those kits are out there, another goodie (if you don't mind very subtle raised panel lines) is the old Monogram Bf110, and yet another, the Esci A-4 in both 1:72 & 1:48.

Ian

It certainly is exciting when you stumble upon a find like that! :D

Had a very similar experience a few years back when I scored an original 'Mania' 1:48 Ki27, the one that ended-up in a Hasegawa box for three times the price !!

hb331121.jpg

Yep those kits are out there, another goodie (if you don't mind very subtle raised panel lines) is the old Monogram Bf110, and yet another, the Esci A-4 in both 1:72 & 1:48.

Ian

Wow Warren! Nice Haul! The moldings look a little bit like the old L/S tooling. The Ki-67 Peggy has similar clear parts & working landing gear, as well. Nifty! :good: Mania, before it was Hasegawa, made some crisp little gems as well. :good: :drinks

Wow Warren! Nice Haul! The moldings look a little bit like the old L/S tooling. The Ki-67 Peggy has similar clear parts & working landing gear, as well. Nifty! :good: Mania, before it was Hasegawa, made some crisp little gems as well. :good: :drinks

Thanks! :) I never heard of Mania kits!

Looks like a really nice little kit - cannot even begin to imagine how much I would age trying either of those camo schemes in 72nd!

Back