• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

StuG. III Ausf G (EARLY PRODUCTION)

Thanks Ian!!

The tracks are assembled and painted.

Terry :D

DSC00927.JPG

DSC00928.JPG

DSC00929.JPG

I told James I would go into more detail as to how I do exhaust painting and weathering. So here we go.

My first step is to paint the exhaust and muffler with Tamiya Flat Brown. This time around I wanted to try something new. I sprayed the exhaust with hair spray with the idea of making some heat damaged paint.

DSC00930.JPG

I sprayed a coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow on the muffler boxes.

DSC00931.JPG

Before the dark yellow had completely cured I took a stiff brush with just a little alcohol in it and stippled the surface of the yellow paint to reveal the brown underneath. Be careful not to have your brush too wet as this will remove the brown paint too.

DSC00932.JPG

Next I begin adding pastel powder mixed with mineral spirits to the exhaust pipes and damaged parts of the muffler box. To do this I use three to four different colors of pastel powder. Black and a range from brown up to a more rusty color. These pastels are added like a wash. By adding more colors on to top of others they will blend together to give a subtle effect.

DSC00934.JPG

DSC00935.JPG

Lastly I use Model Master Metalizer Exhaust to dry brush more worn areas and to pipes to I more metal appearance. When you are satisfied you can seal this with Testors Dull Coat.

DSC00936.JPG

DSC00937.JPG

DSC00938.JPG

DSC00939.JPG

Here is view of the exhaust mounted to the tank. I hope this helps and feel free to ask questions.

DSC00941.JPG

Terry

Work continues on the StuG, but I have to say I don't like the way this kit is to be assembled. With all these different assemblies alignment will be tricky. Fenders, rear deck, front upper hull, and crew compartment have been worked on. Here are some views of the progress.

Terry B)

DSC00942.JPG

DSC00943.JPG

DSC00944.JPG

DSC00949.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00951.JPG

DSC00953.JPG

DSC00954.JPG

DSC00956.JPG

DSC00959.JPG

DSC00960.JPG

Looking good. One suggestion if I may. The dark yellow paint on the muffler that is remaining would be discolored. I would treat it with a brown filter to simulate this discoloration.

Looking good. One suggestion if I may. The dark yellow paint on the muffler that is remaining would be discolored. I would treat it with a brown filter to simulate this discoloration.

Thanks Heir Doctor!

Terry B)

Back