• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stretcher-bearers up!

RichB

Stepping out of the box for this campaign, I will modify a Verlinden 120mm figure to portray a Medical Corporal, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps (RCAMC), 1[sup]st[/sup] (Canadian) Division, Sicily, 1943.

Start~16.jpg

The figure as kitted represents an infantryman of the 51[sup]st[/sup] (Highland) Division, 8[sup]th[/sup] Army, North Africa. They were known as "The Highway Decorators" in reference to the division "HD" insignia used on road markers along their line of advance.

The basic uniform and kit is the same with only the rifle and bayonet being consigned to the spares box.

Cheers,
Rich

There are a few changes to be made to the figure. First up was the removal the "HD" slip-ons on the epaulettes.

Torso1.jpg

The socks require the removal the garter tabs visible just below the turndown and then scribing sock ribbing.

Socks1.jpg

I will remove the netting from the helmet as most pictures I've seen of RCAMC in Sicily did not have it.

Helmet.jpg

The small pack will be modified to include the ground sheet usually folded and secured under the upper flap.

Smlpack.jpg

I will have to scratch as second small pack that was used for medical supplies and a medical water bottle that was also often carried.

Cheers,
Rich

A mock-up of our Medical Orderly as he appears tonight. His kit is just held on with blue tack for the photos.

Changes done so far :

1. The helmet has had the netting removed and been reshaped with Aves Apoxie Sculpt.
2. Hair detail built up under helmet.
3. Divisional Formation Insignia (also known as "Battle Patch") and chevrons added.
4. Red Cross brassard added to left arm.
5. Ground sheet and modified flap added to the pack.
6. Left hand was modified from holding his rifle to hold a mug, scratched from a piece of sprue bored out and styrene.
7. Socks and epaulettes modified.

The entrenching tool, water bottle and ammo pouches are kit stock.

The amount and type of personnel equipment varied with individual choice and battlefield situation. The ammo pouches when carried were filled with additional medical supplies. Commonwealth medical units were issued with a limited number of weapons including revolvers/pistols, Lee-Enfield rifles and Sten guns for the defense of themselves and the sick and wounded. However, many medical personnel chose not to carry a weapon either thru personal beliefs or that it would make them even more of a target.

Mock1a.jpg
Mock2a.jpg

Mock3a.jpg
Mock4a.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Back