• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Storing Kits 4 A Few Months?

Tankbuilder

Hi there.

I'm slowly preparing to move. I need to pack away a lot of model kits for a few months.

Is it okay to store model kit boxes on their end instead of flat? Again, this is just for a few months.

Thanks and cheers

I've moved my collection a few times now and the boxes have been in every possible direction trying to get them into the larger moving boxes. I have found the only thing that really matters is keeping the environment constant. Variations in temperature, will warp the plastic, doesn't matter how you pack them. If they are going into a storage unit I recommend a climate controlled one.

How far are you moving? The furthest I moved was from California to Florida and I learned a few things, especially with my completed builds.

HTH
Mike

Thanks Skinny Mike.

The storage will be here at my apartment. The move itself when done will be just over a block away.

The other thing that I'm trying to figure out is the best way to pack my 1/600 scale Airfix WW2 warship models that I've already built. Those masts are pretty delicate.

Cheers

When I moved my 1/700 scale ships half way across the country I found a box (several actually) about the right height for the masts to clear and then taped the bottom of the hulls (they are all waterline builds with flat bottoms) to the bottom of the box with double sided tape so they wouldn't slide around. Then I took them in the car with me rather than put them in the moving van so I could keep an eye on them.

If your ships are full hull versions with rounded bottoms I don't know what you would do. Cut some cardboard seats for them I suppose. If it is only a block away you could just move a couple at a time.

If you're only going a couple of blocks you shouldn't have too many problems. Just don't let them linger outside for very long.

I agree with Dave, just move the ships all kind of separately, and don't try packing them into a box, kind of like your taking them to a model show.

Good luck! Hope it all goes well for ya!

Back