• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Staghound

jknaus

Administrator
Okay a place holder while I finish up the Wespe. A 12th Manitoba Dragoons Staghound with 60lb rockets.
full

James

This will be a great kit. I've been wanting to do one in 1/72 scale myself.

One thing I learned from someone in Britain who's father crewed one of these: the box art (and possibly the instructions too) is wrong The rocket launch rails need to be mounted at a 35 degree angle. He said those rockets were badly underpowered as they were designed to be shot from a fast moving aircraft which would accelerate the speed and range of them. On a vehicle, they needed to be lobbed to get any kind of decent range from them, otherwise they would land 30 feet in front of the vehicle.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Mark. Yeah they did not do what was hoped. as only a few had the rockets I can always just do the Mk I as is. Will decide as I get there. Will have to find some good pics to see that the rails are right.
James

Built the 1/48 version of this James...I remember parts being very thin and breaking easily when I tried cutting them off the sprues...but I'd imagine with a larger scale there might be a bit more sturdiness...

One thing I learned from someone in Britain who's father crewed one of these: the box art (and possibly the instructions too) is wrong The rocket launch rails need to be mounted at a 35 degree angle. He said those rockets were badly underpowered as they were designed to be shot from a fast moving aircraft which would accelerate the speed and range of them. On a vehicle, they needed to be lobbed to get any kind of decent range from them, otherwise they would land 30 feet in front of the vehicle.

I hope this helps.
Doing some research and this is right. The frame pivoted and was raised and lowered by a linkage to the mantle of the gun. They could go from 90 to 3000 yards but accuracy was limited. Also for short range the warhead usually did not explode.
Good page here https://milart.blog/2014/09/07/staghound-rocket-launcher/
James

Okay started this puppy. I broke from the instructions which would have you glue all the small details on each side and front and back before joining together the body. I instead have built the body and will add the rest next.
full

full

James

I agree James! So many times the instructions cause more botches than they help avoid. Imagine all those tiny parts breaking off while trying to assemble the big parts. Nightmare!
3D_emoticon_184.gif
3D_emoticon_41.gif

I hope this helps.

wait for targets to be down hill, then step on the gas!!! :lol:

Back