• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sprue Brothers/Tankrats

mmdm4

I ordered kits from both of these sites within the last week and I just wanted everyone to know what great service/shipping I received. I ordered an Afrikacorps Panzer IV from Sprue Borthers and it came in the mail 3 days later. A day after I ordered that kit I ordered the Dragon Panzerjager IB from Tankrats. I got it in the mail 3 days later also. While both sites had good prices I got the kit from Tankrats for $21 less than my LHS wants for it and that includes having it shipped which was no charge. You can't beat these sites for price and fast shipping!

You are correct, sir! They are excellent resources for us model builder who do not have a reliable brick and mortar hobby shop. (y)

I love Sprue Brothers ! :ro: Their Real Time inventory in Pure Genius , Now Why can't some one like .... Lucky Model use this ?? Or any body else for that matter. It saves Infinitely on Headaches ! :angry: It seems like a NO Brainer ?? :blink

I've never ordered from Tank Rats, I'll have to give 'em a second look. I always thought their Prices were a little in th Stratosphere !

ERIK

Since there's no shipping with Tankrats, purchasing one or two kits and or paint isn't too much more than anyone else, when shipping is added to theirs. The service from Tankrats is fast and you can actually talk to them if there's an issue. Tankrat himself called me at home to check on an order! B) I use both companies regularly!!

Spruebrothers is wonderful! I should have an allotment sent from my paycheck to them every month! They have certainly earned my business.

Susan and I have known Gordon Kwan for years. Sprue Brothers was one of our best customers when we ran VLS, (Legacy distributing). Fantastic company, one of the best in the world for sure! The only other company I know that is comparable is Lynn Sangster, (Historex Agents), in Dover England! I order from Sprue Brothers exclusively because they are very close!

BTW, I forgot, another great company is HLJ, Hobby Link Japan! All three of these companies are top drawer!

I have never heard a complaint about any one of these businesses during my career in the model business!!

There is a great LHS in the St. Louis area. I go when I can, but I live in the far north and it is in the far south, about 60 miles, one way! CRM Hobbies, if you are ever in the area, that is the place to go!!!

Bob

I knew there was a special reason I like SprueBros...So Dad, if we drop a name with Gordon can we get that super special discount rate? Nevermind, they are cheap enough as it is, I don't want to cut into whatever profit Gordon has just to save some change.

bob letterman wrote:
Susan and I have known Gordon Kwan for years. Sprue Brothers was one of our best customers when we ran VLS, (Legacy distributing). Fantastic company, one of the best in the world for sure! The only other company I know that is comparable is Lynn Sangster, (Historex Agents), in Dover England! I order from Sprue Brothers exclusively because they are very close!

BTW, I forgot, another great company is HLJ, Hobby Link Japan! All three of these companies are top drawer!

I have never heard a complaint about any one of these businesses during my career in the model business!!

There is a great LHS in the St. Louis area. I go when I can, but I live in the far north and it is in the far south, about 60 miles, one way! CRM Hobbies, if you are ever in the area, that is the place to go!!!

Bob

CRM is cool I got some stuff from him at th AMPS '09 in Harve de Grace. Cool dude & he had some much Cool stuff !! Th Wallet suffered a Mortal Wound after I left his Stand !!

ERIK

I buy in the US from Squadron, Sprue Brothers and from abroad I buy from EricYYmodel.com in Hong Kong.

Lately I've narrowed it down to Sprue Brothers and EricYY (they both do PayPal).
The thing with Sprue Brothers, every time I place and order using PayPay I get a refund credited to my PP account for shipping (not bad).
And they are very fast and reply to my emails quickly.

Squadron just refuses to use PayPal so I only use them as a last resort.

i am having the in stock issue with lucky model now!! :angry: yet once the card is swiped i get the available but not in stock ! i think every one should use the real time inventory like sprue brothers :woohoo:

dave samson wrote:
i am having the in stock issue with lucky model now!! :angry: yet once the card is swiped i get the available but not in stock

That's what's keeping me from buy from Lucky.
I agree they have fairly good prices but I'll be damned if I'm going t play that game.

Sadly you seem to be in the minority who have received acceptable service from Tankrats. There are many thread on many forums about terrible service from him. Simply a case of the business outgrowing his capacity and time - it's a one or two man show, and not his "real life" job. Hopefully the excellent service you received from him is a turning point and many good things are to come. :)

I've known Gordon for a while and love Sprue Brothers service. I have ordered with tankrats too. And he is great. They didnt have something in stock, so he called and ended up upgrading me to something better for free. Then I got the package, and cause someone had ordered from him and mentioned me, he sent me a t-shirt and some other goodies. Ended up ordering like 3 things and got a box full of stuff. Now if he could only get the black for track in. lol

Black-Sheep1 wrote:
dave samson wrote:
i am having the in stock issue with lucky model now!! :angry: yet once the card is swiped i get the available but not in stock

I agree they have fairly good prices but I'll be damned if I'm going t play that game.

I had th same problem with Lucky Model, takin' th $$ & then tellin' Me they're out of Stock. :evil: .... Now, If they would go to Real Time Inventory , then maybe ! :unsure:

I'll just stick to th Sprue Brothers - Oh ! :woohoo: I love the fact that you can get then to send you an E-mail when something you are lookin' for comes in Stock .... SOmetimes I would swear that He orders it just for th person that's lookin for it ! It seems pretty coincidental that after I mark something for him to E-mail me on when it comes in stock that , a couple of Days I get th e-mail sayin' it's in Stock !! :woohoo: :pinch: :woohoo: :silly:

AWESOME !! IT doesn't get any better than that !!! They carry all th Tools, & They even stock Mr. Dissolve Putty from Gunze .... Black Sheep - If you've never tried this.... It puts th Mr. Surfacer 500 to shame as far as a Crack/seam, filler !! IT's 100% lacquer based & I've thinned it to th point of it being a wash & washed into a crack to fill it ! :woohoo: Th Best Part - When it dries .... It dries to a Super Smooth finish & I don't have to sand it !!!! + It makes th best Weld Seams !! Bar NONE !!!! look for it ( A little known secret !) MR.DISSOLVE PUTTY I can give ya some Hints on using it ... If ya' want !!

- http://store.spruebrothers.com/gunze-sangyo-mr-dissolved-putty-p119-p441.aspx

ERIK

panzerace007 wrote:
Black-Sheep1 wrote:
dave samson wrote:

I had th same problem with Lucky Model, takin' th $$ & then tellin' Me they're out of Stock. :evil: .... Now, If they would go to Real Time Inventory , then maybe ! :unsure:

I'll just stick to th Sprue Brothers - Oh ! :woohoo: I love the fact that you can get then to send you an E-mail when something you are lookin' for comes in Stock .... SOmetimes I would swear that He orders it just for th person that's lookin for it ! It seems pretty coincidental that after I mark something for him to E-mail me on when it comes in stock that , a couple of Days I get th e-mail sayin' it's in Stock !! :woohoo: :pinch: :woohoo: :silly:

AWESOME !! IT doesn't get any better than that !!! They carry all th Tools, & They even stock Mr. Dissolve Putty from Gunze .... Black Sheep - If you've never tried this.... It puts th Mr. Surfacer 500 to shame as far as a Crack/seam, filler !! IT's 100% lacquer based & I've thinned it to th point of it being a wash & washed into a crack to fill it ! :woohoo: Th Best Part - When it dries .... It dries to a Super Smooth finish & I don't have to sand it !!!! + It makes th best Weld Seams !! Bar NONE !!!! look for it ( A little known secret !) MR.DISSOLVE PUTTY I can give ya some Hints on using it ... If ya' want !!

- http://store.spruebrothers.com/gunze-sangyo-mr-dissolved-putty-p119-p441.aspx

ERIK

Erik that would be awesome.
I'm going to add that to me next order to Sprue Bros. (or as soon as they get it back in stock!).

Rudi Richardson wrote:
Sadly you seem to be in the minority who have received acceptable service from Tankrats. There are many thread on many forums about terrible service from him. Simply a case of the business outgrowing his capacity and time - it's a one or two man show, and not his "real life" job. Hopefully the excellent service you received from him is a turning point and many good things are to come. :)
I won't tell you I didn't have an issue, because I did, but they more than made it right and that's more than I can say for a certain company who has already been mentioned several times. You can PM me if you need more details, but I'll stick to the positive here in public.

BLACK SHEEP,

Just click that E-Mail Me when in stock line & follow th prompts. Hopefully inna few days you'll get a note in your E-Mail saying that it's in !

It would have helped ya a lot faster than th Mr Surfacer on th Patton Barrel. Mr.Surfacer has it's purposes, don't get me wrong. I use Mr.Surfacer 500 too, for a lot of stuff. But those Tough hard to fill seams , or Deep seams you wanna go with Mr.Dissolve Putty. Or as th Guys in AMPSCV call it - Crack Cream ! :lol:

Play around with it. Use Lacquer Thinner. To fill a seam -
1) dab th area with Lacquer Thinner
2) dip your brush into th Mr. Dissolve
3) you will notice it's a little thick ( dip th brush with Mr.Dissolve on it , into th Lacquer Thinner get it a ;little thinner ( you'll have to play around with it)
4) It's Error proof !! If you think it's too thick just Dabb some straight Lacquer thinner into th Crack & watch it thin it's self out !! :woohoo:

When you get it .. You'll see what I mean. Maybe I'll take some shots & post in th Tips & Tricks ! But I think you'll get th hang of it when you follow these steps !!

ERIK

Thanks, Erik! I've had a bottle of that stuff for 5-6 years, never could figure out how to use it right! I guess that's cuz I couldn't read the bottle and neither could any of my friends! :laugh:

dunno mike i heard voices in my head tellin me to do things every time i cracked the lid on that mr surfacer ,it was so bad one day i had the family runnin out of the house after they sealed my door frame with towels

Back