• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spitfire Mk ? restoration

Paulw

Well for those of you who knew me way back then will recognize this Spitfire from one I received from Jeff about four years ago when I was getting back into the hobby. This is the Tamiya Mk VII kit in 32 and I was real happy to have gotten it. I was just recovering from some major heart surgery and being unemployed for quite a long time due to my ill health. SA Dave, Firesmacker, Adam, Dave the Chef, Mr.T and Bob would remember that far back that how awful things were for me and my modeling. These guys kept me supplied with kits and tools that I needed to get and keep going. To these guys, thank you.

This kit, as I said earlier was really the second kit that I built since I was a kid some 4792340 years ago and I thought that I did a wonderful job but as you can see it was not so wonderful. Every body gave me some encouragement and bit their upper lip. Dave the Chef told the Queen that one day I will be building a better looking Spitfire but he wasn't sure when. As for this model I had just about all I could handle and decided to try and give it a much needed face lift. I am not pulling the engine or the pit but it will be mostly an external face lift.

The paint was remover with some stuff in a yellow bottle that you can bet at the Family Dollar Store and I think it must be the most caustic stuff you can buy for a dollar. The decals were sort of removed with some tape and now I just need to figure out how I am going to get on with this thing. The wind screen won't come off with out breaking it so Ill just leave it alone.

It continues on. I hadn't realized how bad this build was until I got to looking around around a bit. The top engine panel doesn't fit well so there is going to be some filler but I think I can make it look like its supposed to be a little battle weary. I got the windows taped off and primer shot. Krylon white primer did the trick and I even took some time to ad some color to the prop. Now I think Ill just make it look presentable to my eyes at least so no major tear down and interior work will be done.

When I first built this five years ago I thought I was doing a good job, I have to sit back and say to my self "Cripes, did I do that?". I cant believe the horrid things I did on this build and now I cant really repair the whole lot but just sort of sugar coat it in hopes it may pass as a replication of the grey Nurse. Back then I had a old cell phone camera and some old knock off B&H quick shot. I am glad the pics sucked because the building of this kit itself sucked just as much. lol

Off to a good start Paul. In a way it is always kind of cool to see how far each of us has gone in the quality of our builds (y)

Back