• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spitfire Mk I 1/48th scale by Tamiya

centaur567

hf170588_2019-11-22.JPG

hd72c91d.JPG

hd76182a.JPG

h27dce7c.JPG

h210996e.JPG

h2efe3b9.JPG

h3a9441f.JPG

This is my entry. Not much this kit needs. Nice detail and nice fit. Going to build it gear up. I placed a magnet under the cockpit in order to not have to drill a hole for the stand. The magnet came from an old hard drive. Thanks for looking!! Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

h9e0b9e3.JPG

hd35e935.JPG

Had to thin down the tires and landing gear to fit.

ha40b495.JPG

Making the mask.

hbe6d34b.JPG

Didn't have RAF Dark Earth on hand but did have Military Brown by MM, which is one FS number away and a little lighter. Close enough.

h3801142.JPG

h7d6a1b3.JPG

Made my own dark green. Close enough for gov. work. Needs touching up. Gary S. XXXXV XXXX

H'mmm Maybe I'll do a little post shading of the green with oils after this cures a little more. :good: Thanks Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

head4c88.JPG

Just started darkening on the right wing the green with a mixture of black and yellow oils.

hd1708d7.JPG

"Oil" job completed and I think it looks better. With the darker green it makes the brown look a little lighter. Now it's under the drying lamp for a few days.

h17d5084.jpg

These are the side marking I hope to use with a change to the unit code. Thanks, Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Looking good!

I really like the magnet idea!

I've noticed that not many kits actually allow for a gear up option, and very seldom does the gear actually fit into the gear well.

:popcorn

hf5b375e.JPG

h461c3d1.JPG

Thanks to Mr.T, MP, and Sharkman !! I'm having trouble getting the markings. The color cartridge on my printer is old and not printing right. The same for my decal paper. I was able to print out the eagle some what and fill in with paint. Not the same eagle but as always "close enough". I was hoping to print out the code letters in a grey green, but that didn't work. I do have some rub on transfer letters in white. Good enough. Thanks Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Grey is always a tough color, most often looks dithered with any printer. Best to mask and spray it.

Thanks for the info. I tried the cartridge cleaning several times. I'm going to take the easy way and use the rub on transfers. Don't plan on entering any contest. The marking are partly fiction, i.e the eagle emblem. Thanks Gary S.
XXXXV XX XX

h2c49e5e.JPG

haed73ea.JPG

h3a3a43c.JPG

h6144c86.JPG

Now on to the weathering by useing white oils and cut down post it notes.

hc779fda.JPG

Harder to see, but there is a change in the panels. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

h0381c58.JPG

Decals are on.
h12f2753.JPG

h7352905.JPG

h76be439.JPG

hba1b5c1.JPG

h06c84b9.JPG

h8821c1a.JPG

BF-109 I built over 40 yrs. ago. One of my first models using an airbrush (Binks Wren). It's Monogram's old kit with little interior so I did a little scratching. I have always planned to display it with a Spitfire. Just now getting around to building one. Because the Spit is gear up, so will the 109.
Found a pilot willing for the job, but had to take the seat out in order to fit. Made a replacement antenna for the 109 from a toothpick.

hb13358f.JPG

h571c4fc.JPG

Pin/sludge wash done.

hb2e34af.JPG

The start of the base.

h1ee7db2.JPG

he30fa33.JPG

The White Cliffs of Dover. Thanks for looking. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Coming together nicely Gary (y) Glad to see I' m not the only one to keep old models :coolio

Cheers , Christian B)

Back